Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    hey all, sorry, im so confused.

ok, first of all, whats the difference between b16b? or is that me making up things>?! and the d16y5? or whatever?

whats the difference between the single ohc and the double? apart from *double being better*... like explain why? id unno....

annnnnnd..... is the ek vti sedan vtec?

thanks plenty!!
    when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by fried
    hey all, sorry, im so confused.

ok, first of all, whats the difference between b16b? or is that me making up things>?! and the d16y5? or whatever?

whats the difference between the single ohc and the double? apart from *double being better*... like explain why? id unno....

annnnnnd..... is the ek vti sedan vtec?

thanks plenty!!
    Eric,

u should just get a Teg bro... :twisted:
    muhaha...

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    it depends on what ek u get, some where (the coupes) some wernt.

dohc has to camshafts working together, one on intake side and one on the exhaust side of things. SOHC designs use the one camshaft for both of these actions. I'm not overaly knowledgeable on engine internals, but i am sure this is a simplistic explanation... howstuffworks.com is always good :P

SOHC:
    d16y5 (EK VTi)
    d16y4 (EK Gli)

SOHC VTEC:
    d16y8 (Ek VTi Coupe)
    d16y1 (EG VTi)
    d16z6 (USDM EG VTi)

SOHC VTC-E:
    d15z1

The reason the VTi coupe got the d16y8 (a USDM Motor) is becuase it was imported fromt he US. All aussie models only had the d16y5's. DONT look at oversea's sites and say 'such and such had this motor from this year" AUDM had mostly a completly different model range (motor wise).

That said, before u buy a car or while looking, jot down the engine model number (cast onto the block itself), that way u are 99%garenteed to get the engine ur after.

the b16b(~130kw) is quite rare, its the civic type-r DOHC VTEC engine. It makes more power then the b16a (118kw)DOHC VTEC series used in the VTIR civics.

edit: SOHC
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weq
    d16y7 & d16y1 are the DOHC VTEC motors, both ~96kw
    For DOHC, read SOHC isn't it?

The SOHC VTEC engines are a nice alternative to dropping in a ZC twin-cam - same performance
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Setanta
    The SOHC VTEC engines are a nice alternative to dropping in a ZC twin-cam - same performance
    ZC (aka d16a8).

Actually I'd say the d16a8 has more potential for modding.........but I may be biased.

EDIT: Typo
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

I would say the ZC has more potential as well

at the very least u know the mini me swap is available to the ZC

Member Array
    the ZC motor is kind of a rare one, so its a little harder to get stuff for them. the D16Z6 and the D16Y8, the SOHC Vtec units are easier to do up purely because our friends in the USA have had these motors for a while and know all the tricks to making them put out harder and also pioneered most of the mods for this model motor.

also as far as i know the mini me swap is only possible for the SOHC D series motors and the B series motors. appaerently you can't put on a B series head on the D series ZC motor just because they are both DOHC.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aZZ
    appaerently you can't put on a B series head on the D series ZC motor just because they are both DOHC.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    cmon dudes go easy, he's newb asking newb questions. lol... dont have have go deep into engine discussion. how bout just a basic run down of the two models/engines and pros/cons? ops: poor guys just after some info for the new civic he's getting....

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Theres a few Q's there fried, of which you will find some answers in the tech Sticky here

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    lol... its true, im confused!

so the civics we get her are the jap motors? because all you are saying the d16y5 is SOHC NON VTEC, whilst the american site jdmcivic.com is saying the d16y5 IS VTEC SOHC.

and if NOT a vtec... then what is the difference between the gli and vti sedans for eks? cant seem to find any huge differences, cept maybe the vti has a cup holder, and appearently a passenger airbag...

thanks!
    when do we hit vtec?

Quote Originally Posted by fried
    lol... its true, im confused!

so the civics we get her are the jap motors? because all you are saying the d16y5 is SOHC NON VTEC, whilst the american site jdmcivic.com is saying the d16y5 IS VTEC SOHC.

and if NOT a vtec... then what is the difference between the gli and vti sedans for eks? cant seem to find any huge differences, cept maybe the vti has a cup holder, and appearently a passenger airbag...

thanks!

have a look in the sticky for "civic model info"