Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CU2,3MPS,VESPA

[Euro] (10000 service) syn oil not recommended

got off the phone to northside honda and service guy is telling me that it is not recommended to use full synthetic oil for the first 20000km or so because it doesnt offer enough protection to the engine in the wearing in period(too thin)...and because the euro engine runs really hot compared to normal engines it may result in excessive wear ..what do you all think?

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Why does the euro engine run hot?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2,3MPS,VESPA
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    Why does the euro engine run hot?
    dont know ..thats what the mechanic is saying

Member Array
    Car:
    SloEur
    Quote Originally Posted by albii
    got off the phone to northside honda and service guy is telling me that it is not recommended to use full synthetic oil for the first 20000km or so because it doesnt offer enough protection to the engine in the wearing in period(too thin)...and because the euro engine runs really hot compared to normal engines it may result in excessive wear ..what do you all think?
    this is strange, have a feeling that the dealer is pulling a fast one on you..
    'cos syn oil offers better protection than mineral oil and syn last up to twice as long as mineral.. furthermore in a hot engine (as the dealer claims), mineral oil will break down faster, leading to much lesser protection than syn oil in the same operating condition.

there are always the thicker xW-50 viscosity syn oil to choose, if you want better protection.

Member Array
    Car:
    Was '04 Accord Euro, GP
    They're feeding you the company line to try to make you stick with using Honda FEO. I waited until 20,000km to switch to full synthetic which probably doesn't hurt. When I asked about this at my 10,000km they told me a big story about how the VTEC won't operate properly etc....... There may be some truth however as these engines do seem to have a long wear in period.

Come 20,000km I dropped the car off and said "There's a bottle of Mobil 1 in the boot, can you use that please" and they did no questions asked. This is also at Northside Honda. They'll just make a note saying they used "Customer Supplied Engine Oil".

Generally speaking they're good guys there

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2,3MPS,VESPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Matell
    They're feeding you the company line to try to make you stick with using Honda FEO. I waited until 20,000km to switch to full synthetic which probably doesn't hurt. When I asked about this at my 10,000km they told me a big story about how the VTEC won't operate properly etc....... There may be some truth however as these engines do seem to have a long wear in period.

Come 20,000km I dropped the car off and said "There's a bottle of Mobil 1 in the boot, can you use that please" and they did no questions asked. This is also at Northside Honda. They'll just make a note saying they used "Customer Supplied Engine Oil".

Generally speaking they're good guys there
    yeah they told me to wait until 20000 also matt...long run in for these motors

Member Array
    Car:
    Was '04 Accord Euro, GP
    yeah they told me to wait until 20000 also matt...long run in for these motors
    Yeah, it won't hurt to keep them happy, besides it will save you $40 in the short term. (Honda FEO ~$40, Mobil 1 ~ $80)

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2,3MPS,VESPA
    they're not using feo on my car ..they said they have type r oil they use on euros type r tegs and s2000

Member Array
    Car:
    09Euro, 08CR-V
    I brought my own engine oil (Shell ultra helix) in at 10000km service, Highway Honda give me similar reason as Albii stated above, the values are different to Honda's recommendation. so I listened to them and used their oil. Don't have any problem with Honda's oil. the price is reasonable too (cheaper than Full synthetic oil).
    Anyone know what grade of Engine oil Honda using? semi-syn?? or mineral oil??

I found my the engine didn't respond that well as odometer approaching 30000km, but after 30000km service (oil change, still honda oil), the engine certainly revs quicker. and the runs smoother.

Member Array
    Car:
    Was '04 Accord Euro, GP
    they're not using feo on my car ..they said they have type r oil they use on euros type r tegs and s2000
    Interesting....I asked about the Type R oil and they just looked at me silly

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2,3MPS,VESPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Matell
    Interesting....I asked about the Type R oil and they just looked at me silly
    yeeah..well i called them today and thats what they said..type r oil is a semi synthetic and good for high rev high heat performance hondas...they say full synthetic may damage piston tops and bores

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    The reason why you don't use full synthetic in new engines is because the oil is that fine and slippery the rings on the pistons dont seal against the bore and you get blow buy...

You should be able to run fully synthetic ar atound 12,500 km's

Just make sure when the engine is brand new to give it heaps of push (load)