Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

best spark plugs??

hey guys,
    my cars due for a service and im gonna change the spark plugs also and im just wondering whats the best spark plugs to use on my b16a2 delsol??

will the better spark plugs make a difference at all in any way??

also whats the best spark plugs available? and are racing spark plugs any different to standard spark plugs?

cheers
    -RaF-

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    For your b16a2 engine untill it gets tuned.. .get NGK BKR6E-11, if you ever tune your car.... swap to NGK BKR7E-11 plugs... these are copper plugs they are the best plugs i have ever used. period. They make the most consistant power when "new" compaired to any other plug out there... just replace them more offen and you will be sweet.

Regards James

Member Array
    Car:
    HEMI
    I read that 'Champion Gold' were pretty good and they're cheap too. Difference, it's not like u put ur foot on the gas and, 'Whoa'.

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    champion are the shitest plugs in the world. might aswell but home brand sparkies if u gonna use champions

Member Array
    Car:
    ホンダ
    Try NGK iridum Spark Plug + NGK power cable.......works well on Honda Engine
    地下インポート
    www.undergroundimports.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    F20C Clubman Build
    go copper if u want maximum conductivity...go non copper if u dont mind loosing some conductivity but prefer long life plugs/ ngk makes both types.

for performance and increase in response i'd say go for ngk iridiums they say it would last 50k but i would change it every 20-25. cost around 17 bucks each

for a good all round plug go for the ngk platinums, most manufactureurs use this on their cars now and they last a hec of a long time they say about 100k, tho again i would change it more often than that. about 19 bucks each

i currently have ngk iridiums on my b18b.

Member Array
    Car:
    HEMI
    so can anyone explain the difference these expensive spark plugs will make as asked in the original post? or are we going by hearsay and brand names? Does the cost justify the performance?

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCRX
    For your b16a2 engine untill it gets tuned.. .get NGK BKR6E-11, if you ever tune your car.... swap to NGK BKR7E-11 plugs... these are copper plugs they are the best plugs i have ever used. period. They make the most consistant power when "new" compaired to any other plug out there... just replace them more offen and you will be sweet.

Regards James

I agree totally - ive had 2 honda civics and jsut popped in the NGK coppers . No problems whatsoever. Cheap , and just replace every second oil change ( 10,000kms) and thats all really.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    raff, read the books i gave u (esp the sport and compact performance one)... im pretty sure it mentions something about spark plugs and spark plug wires etc.. i remember it saying something about changing to better wires will improve the flow through them, therefor improving performance, it also will make your engine bay look good

So i reckon you should upgrade that as well as spark plugs, dont think it would be too expensive and its an easy DIY job

i dont think it says much about what brand plugs are better etc.. but it mentions differences between types of plugs

compare what it says in the books to peoples responses on here n u should have no prob's dude

your car's nuts now! i love it, good luck with the plugs.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    yeah you guys are all right..

In My OPINION, the Champion's suck ass !!

when I bought my VTi it had the ORIGINAL circa 1994 NGK plugs in there.. had done almost 140,000kms.

I replaced them with Champion Gold and they were OK for about 1/2 a day (!!). I ended up swapping back the ORIGINAL plugs, I just simply cleaned and re-gapped them, then ran a 15.61" 1/4 mile.

With your B16, I say forget iridium and platinum crap unless you have too much $$ in your hands (in which case send some to me) as they are no better than OEM plugs.

as for lasting 'longer' with the platinum ones etc, that's a joke cause IMO a plug only 'lasts' as long as it is clean and maintains it's integrity in terms of spark. the platinum plugs might get fouled from a bung sensor or something in 1 daqy.. then for the rest of the 100,000kms you can keep driving with a subdued spark.

I say get the correct heat-range for your motor.. just call your honda dealer.. and get the recommended NGK's. as someone else said, they are just as good if not better, but you may need to replace them every 10,000kms.. which you would anyway if you a performance nut.

but Like I said, I've ran OEM NGK's that are like 10 years old, simple cleaned and re-gapped.
    Last edited by VT3C; 16-05-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R/DC5R
    with regards to NGK BKR6E-11 plugs, when buying them do u just pop them straight in or is it better to re-gap them?

if re-gapped, what gapping size?