Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...

Question about K24

For all the Accord Euro people here...can u tell me the difference between K24A1/A2/A3?

I know that the K24A2 is in the USDM TSX Accord and that it supposedly is more aggressively tuned than the K24A1 in the USDM accord, which is an econobox tuned engine apparently

So where does the AUDM K24A3 come in?

in between... we have 140kw, us has 147kw... probably due to better fuel. basic accord has something like 114kw (not too sure on that one). But yea there are a few slight differences between our engine and the USDM one but mainly in the ecu tuning i'd guess. Hondata should hopefulyl bridge the gap - TSX in america is also heavier - probably the reason for the power

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Subaru Liberty GT-B
    bah.. americans have no concept whatsoever when it comes to power.

it's not our fault they can't handle their cars and need more power (which they can utlitise properlly) to make themselves feel better

but fuel is more refined in the US, something which is a dissapointment here in Australia, a long with many other things.

I also wasn't aware that the tsx was heavier :|
    MY07 Subaru Liberty GT 2.5T B.Spec 6SPD MT | Satin White Pearl
    MY04 Honda Accord Euro Luxury 6SPD MT | Arctic Blue
    MY00 Chrysler Neon LE AT | Red Salsa

Fuel better in the US? I thought the best US got, is 93 octane compared to 98 octane in Australia.
    Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNode
    Fuel better in the US? I thought the best US got, is 93 octane compared to 98 octane in Australia.
    Same!

I thought we had better fuel than the US
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Honda Accord Euro
    Yeah same, I always thought our fuel had a higher octane level than the US..

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Subaru Liberty GT-B
    well i know that the japanese have better fuel

i've been reading too many american forums possibly and i've been brainwashed..

it would be excellent if someone could correct me, and/or provide a better more factual insight
    MY07 Subaru Liberty GT 2.5T B.Spec 6SPD MT | Satin White Pearl
    MY04 Honda Accord Euro Luxury 6SPD MT | Arctic Blue
    MY00 Chrysler Neon LE AT | Red Salsa

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by VirIIx
    well i know that the japanese have better fuel

i've been reading too many american forums possibly and i've been brainwashed..

it would be excellent if someone could correct me, and/or provide a better more factual insight

Best we can get here in the US is 94 Octane at Sunoco.

Member Array
    Car:
    Was '04 Accord Euro, GP
    The US uses a different octane rating scale to Australia, and most European countries. They use MON (Motor Octane Number), where as we use RON (Research Octane Number).

Something I noticed when in the US was that gasoline pumps typically posted octane numbers as an average of two different values. Often you may see the octane rating quoted as (R+M)/2. One value is the research octane number (RON), which is determined with a test engine running at a low speed of 600 rpm. The other value is the motor octane number (MON), which is determined with a test engine running at a higher speed of 900 rpm. If, for example, a gasoline has an RON of 98 and a MON of 90, then the posted octane number would be the average of the two values or 94.

In Australia we only ever seem to have RON listed on the pump, in the US and Canada on pumps I saw either MON or (R+M)/2.

Our 98RON is approximately equal to 92-93MON in the US.

Oh and when installing my intake manifold gasket I noted that the engine code (K24A3) is also etched into the crankcase of the engine adjacent the transmission. That suggest's there's a few mechanical differences. What they are I've no idea. But it'd be cool to do simple reverse engineering on both of them simultaneously to find out!
    Last edited by Matell; 17-05-2005 at 10:14 AM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Specs:
    K24A1 (Aus CR-V), 118kW, 220Nm
    K24A2 (TSX), 200hp (149kW), 166 ft-lb (225Nm)
    K24A3 (Aus Euro), 140kW, 223Nm
    K24A4 (Aus Accord VTi), 117kW, 217Nm

I think that not only is the US engine rated higher because of fuel, but because 200hp is sort of a magical number barrier for small sedans and compacts. Which would sound nicer, TSX 200hp or our Euro's 187hp? Heck, even 200hp sounds like a lot more than 199hp, but you can't feel or measure the difference.

Also, here in Australia where 140kW is the limit for non-sports sedans. Any higher and they go into a different insurance bracket. And as far as I remember, there are different noise requirements as well.

The last reason could be that in the future model upgrade, Honda Australia could just bring over the new Euros with TSX engines and call it a model upgrade. A 7kW powerup sounds nice, no?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

I think i remember us standard pump fuel being 89 RON. in Japan, you can get 100 RON off the pump.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    It's got nothing to do with fuel...

It's all Emmision Laws