Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Formula 1 Discussion Thread.

New thread to discuss things in, should be a lot of talk with Monaco coming up tomorrow!

To kick start this thread.
    You ready all?

From f1-live.com

Monaco could well host the final Sunday
    qualifying session of the season

Formula One teams reached unanimous agreement at Monaco on Friday to change qualifying to a single session and hope to introduce the new system in time for next weekend's European Grand Prix. The team chiefs met here Friday to discuss a way to alter the current system, which sees the grid decided by aggregate times from two laps on Saturday and Sunday and has been unpopular with teams and the media.

The new system will see just one session run on Saturday afternoon, the traditional slot for qualifying, and the running order will be decided on the results of the previous race with the winner running last in the session.

The proposal has been put to the Formula One Commission and the World Council in a fax vote and the FIA said the results should be through in time to change for the next race at the Nurburgring.

"These people are all over the world and sometimes people don't answer immediately, so we have to wait until we have enough votes," said FIA President Max Mosley. "Now it is a question of whether we can get the World Council and the Formula One commission to agree. I hope (it is a formality) and I think so, and I am trying to get it done for the Nurburgring."

The current system has been continually criticised by the drivers and on Thursday, before the decision was made, world champion Michael Schumacher said: "I would prefer to go back to one qualifying session. I think that is reasonable but then it would be nice to stick with that qualifying for once. If we change it now hopefully we wont change it again and again."

The change is yet another in a long list of modifications to qualifying, which began with the introduction of one-lap qualifying two-and-a-half years ago after a switch from the traditional best of 12 laps in an hour solution. The single lap qualifying has always had two sessions and when initially introduced the first session, run on a Friday, simply decided the running order for the second session on the Saturday.

The two sessions were run consecutively on a Saturday last year and this year, another new system was introduced with the times from both sessions, now run on Saturday and Sunday, combined to decide the grid positions. Mosley admitted the latest solution was not ideal but insisted the format must stop changing.

"We shall have to see how it goes, but there are always going to be discussions. The thing is, there are lots of very good ideas but getting everyone to agree is tricky. The trouble is you get 10 teams and you have 15 opinions, but maybe something will come up. What a lot of people were talking about was taking the times from the final part of free practice on the Saturday morning and making that the order for qualifying."

"I quite like that, because they would be running empty tanks and they would be under pressure to go quick. But in the end we had to find something that everyone agreed to. It is very important to have qualifying on a Saturday because all the press want it but also it irritates the public not knowing who is on pole until the day of the race. If you follow a particular driver and you know he is going to be on pole then you maybe change your plans for Sunday. If he is at the back then you might go and do something completely different, so people need to know."

Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch
    I like the two qualifying sessions. It adds some spice to it.

Maybe they could do 3 laps on the Saturday session and take the aggregate of the best 2 or something. Just something a little different.
    In one lap, you only see each driver once. But in 12 laps, there are a lot of cars on the track and some drivers will suffer from traffic.

FIA survey

let ur voice be heard! lolz

FIA want to hear your thoughts
    On the very future of Formula One

Max Mosley wants input from race fans
    At the beginning of 2005 the FIA initiated a consultation on the future of Formula One. A timetable for the consultation has since been published with an open invitation to all of the stakeholders to participate.

The FIA has always considered the fans of Formula One to be an essential part of this process. As a result, the FIA, backed by AMD, a global technology leader, is launching a new survey to gauge public opinion and to help shape the future of the sport.

“We have been saying for some time that Formula One fans should be consulted and involved in shaping the future of the sport," FIA President max Mosley stated. "I am delighted that with AMD’s support, we now have the opportunity to conduct this research for the first time. I very much look forward to the results and I would encourage everyone interested in Formula One to participate.”

The FIA/AMD Formula One Survey 2005 can be accessed via www.fia.com and will be online from Saturday, May 21
    Last edited by ^^v; 22-05-2005 at 01:59 AM.

My vioce to be heard?

Bring back slicks
    Let more aero be allowed
    Don't go to V8's

Main three I would say.

the title of your second post Jase was a God send! booya! hope it is indeed.
    My three would be,
    1. dont go to V8's
    2. bring back last years tyre regulations
    3. Unlimited Aero!

in that order. My main is the old tyre regulations, when strategy played a huge roll in the race
    WDM. World Domestic Market.

Subaru y0!

Firstly, Go to a control Tyre, Limit budget spending, reduce aero grip, and increase mechanical grip.

The control tyre really will reduce the cost of testing etc, this gives a fairer change to the playing field. Budget spending, I know i know, why limit if they got the funds etc, well, its in all other forms of sport in terms of salary caps etc etc, why not make it a level playing field. The mechanical grip issue is a problem, but aero grip makes it very hard for overtaking, so for real overtaking mechanical grip is the only real solution.

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    I think the tyre thing is probably the biggest thing alot of people want back....the strategy just allowed a different dimension to the racing.

Old aero rules

and no V8s!!! - they are for crappy aussie bogan races

Quote Originally Posted by Jus-10
    I think the tyre thing is probably the biggest thing alot of people want back....the strategy just allowed a different dimension to the racing.

Old aero rules

and no V8s!!! - they are for crappy aussie bogan races
    Do bogan V8's rev to 20k?

Id like to see tyres back the most

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    HAHA..true Kawasaki...I was taking a VERY high-level analysis!

Next thing you know, Max is going to turn them in to electric powered cars, or running on hydrogen or some crap like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jus-10
    Next thing you know, Max is going to turn them in to electric powered cars, or running on hydrogen or some crap like that.
    i can so see that happening in the next 10 years or so...