Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    s15
    duno about a specific paint called "matt black", but when i sprayed my stockies black i just sprayed them with $2 cans of Black spraypaint and o didnt use the clearcoat at the end and it turned out mattblack, which was wat i was aiming for. using the clearcoat makes the paintwork turn out glossy

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    taking them off your car will make it an easier job..
    you don't really want to be spraying your calipers/brakes along with your lug nuts..

just buy the cheapest primer/paint from bunnings.. generic shit.

i got my rims done for under 25 bucks.. and 5-6 hours of work.. (including time for need for speed underground)

and that was 7 cans of gloss black paint, with a can of primer ?

EDIT:
    sorry, just saw that you wrote the tyre off the rim rather than the rims off..

no, you don't have to.. the paint will just flake off after a while..
    Last edited by tRipitaka; 14-08-2006 at 09:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra LS
    7 cans?? far out man, i just sprayed the insides of all 4 of my wheels (left the face polished) with one can of 400g Wheel paint. Still got some left over! Although i spose i was merely covering an already black surface with more black to make my wheels look newer.

But yeh all you need is an etch primer, if you really feel the need go over the etch with a grey primer, and then use your paint of choice. Any automotive Acrylic is fine, extra tough epoxy or chassis black will last much longer, but if they are just steelies, do the tRipitaka way and save some time and money

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    hmm.. i guess 7 cans was overkill..

i started off with 1can per rim.. then on my second coat about 2/3's a can per rim..

but it turned out really good.. until i gutter bashed it -_-

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    Thanks guys, gonna do them this weekend... And I just found out I can see my calipers through the steelies, so gonna do them red... (Might as well.. may look a little ricer but what the hell...)

Umm one more question, what kind of paint do I use? Is there specific 'wheel paint' or just plain general automotive black (Whithout the clearcoat) paint?

Member Array
    Car:
    s15
    well i just used the some spray cans i picked up from supercheap auto for like $6 each i think it was (dont think it was any specific paint) if you want to see how mine turned out just ask me.

as for the calipers best bet would be to get the High Temperature Paint or the brake caliper paint (yes, there is a specific paint for calipers), just go to any auto store and ask them, they'll show ya.

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    Quote Originally Posted by haiz
    well i just used the some spray cans i picked up from supercheap auto for like $6 each i think it was (dont think it was any specific paint) if you want to see how mine turned out just ask me.

as for the calipers best bet would be to get the High Temperature Paint or the brake caliper paint (yes, there is a specific paint for calipers), just go to any auto store and ask them, they'll show ya.
    u got ripped haiz lol.

bunnings generic shit is like 2-3 bucks a can

Member Array
    Car:
    s15
    shuddup bong

i only used like 2 cans for all 4 wheels anyway so it worked out about the same as 6-7 cans of paint.

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    Quote Originally Posted by haiz
    shuddup bong

i only used like 2 cans for all 4 wheels anyway so it worked out about the same as 6-7 cans of paint.
    that's cos i did it at Chuoty Co.

Member Array
    Car:
    s15
    Quote Originally Posted by tRipitaka
    that's cos i did it at Chuoty Co.
    lol ohh now why didnt u say so?

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    Finally got around to starting my weekend project (No work because of the GAS Shooting, yay!)

Decided only to start with the front because... I don't know why... Anyway heres the pic after the second coat of paint...

Last edited by Petronas; 27-08-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Teal Mx5
    how hard was it to mask up the tires?
    everytime I tried it, the tape / newspaper would slip off.
    Row row row your boat