Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre Pressure

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY05 - Milano Red

Tyre Pressure

Took my Euro for 1000km service yesterday. They pulled down the tyre pressures from 40 down to about 32? Does anyone know why they did this?

HondaONE even said push em up 5psi to improve fuel economy. I like the handling better too. Is this gonna **** my tyres??

Actually, too much psi will f*** your tyres. Your tyres will be worn unevenly, the centre worn out first. The correct tyre psi should be 32psi for front and 30psi for back assuming you have the 05 17inch rim.

When I bring in for service, the mechanic actually told me 35psi. But I choose to ignore him and follow that sticker beside the drivers door.

Me too would like to hear the views of euro drivers here.

Aaron

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY05 - Milano Red
    Yeh thats what he said as well, 35, and like i said hondaONE also says 5 more. I have the 16" Rim but its about the same.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    40psi cold is ok - just don't exceed the maximum psi on the tyre itself - probably 50psi.

It will wear slightly faster from the inside but the tyre runs cooler and flexes less so I doubt you will notice it wear any faster than someone running 32psi.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY05 - Milano Red
    Yeah I live about 1km from the servo so im always cold pressures

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by nEUROtic
    Yeah I live about 1km from the servo so im always cold pressures
    Get your own guage - the servo guages are hopeless.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY05 - Milano Red
    Well Honda said it was 40, and I had pumped it to 40. So looks good.

Member Array
    Car:
    09Euro, 08CR-V
    I am very particular with my tyre pressure. Here is my routine:
    - get a good quality tyre gauge (mine is metal base with dial)
    - for 16" under normal driving condition
    220Kpa = 32psi for front. 210Kpa= 31.5psi for rear.
    - for Constant highspeed hwy driving
    260 Kpa = 38 psi for front 250Kpa= 36psi for rear
    - I always do 36 or 37 psi for my tyres (cold) as I do fair bit of hwy driving.
    - I think 32psi cold is a bit too low, the side of tyre tend to wear quicker, and if you are a bit slack sometimes, your tyre pressure will drop below acceptable and causing even faster tyre wear.
    - To get accurate reading, measure it when the tyre is absolutely cold, take a reading (eg 30psi), then go to your good old trusty servo station, measure the tyre pressure again with your own gauge (eg. 33psi coz tyre warmed up). If you want 36psi cold, then you need to boost extra 6 psi of air in, so after pump air in, your gauage should read 39psi (warm tyre).
    - the key is to get a reading when the tyre is cold.
    Good luck.

i'm shocking with my tyre pressures... they servo air pumps are horrible when tryin to figure out exact pressures. Hopefully i can find a way to get em at the right levels, maybe buy a gauge like Pnr888 suggested.

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Euro Lux, 6SPD SS
    My philosophy for tyre pressure is use the highest pressure possible that doesn't cause the middle part of the tyre to wear at a faster rate (due to over inflation). This is geared towards better handling being the priority.

The alternative is using the lowest pressure that doesn't cause the outside edges of the tyre to wear at a faster rate (due to under inflation). This is geared towards better comfort being the priority.

However, the 1st option is better IMO because tyre looses air, so it will lose pressure and still maintain in ok wear pattern until the next air-pump, as oppose to the 2nd option loosing air causing underinflation and more tyre heat / wear and loss of handling performance.
    Last edited by V205; 29-05-2005 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Wording

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9|NA6CE
    I have those pen pressure gauges and they only cost like $10 at Kmart, and they are quite accurate. I go to those servo's with the digital tyre pumps and they are only 0.5-1 psi off, so if you don't have your own gauge, go to those instead.

I have been using 40 psi for around half a year and they have stopped the outside edges of my tyres wearing out. Ironic, cos the reason why my outside edges were wearing out in the first place was because I was using the recommended pressure on the placard....32 front and 30 rear.

Some people may call me crazy for putting in 40 psi, but I really like it. Makes the car handle much better, even tyre ware (from my half year observation), less screeching when I corner hard, and generally more responsive. Haven't noticed any increase in distance when braking, in the wet or dry. I suggest you guys give it a try and maybe, try to prove me wrong on this. If not 40 psi, try something like 35 or 35 psi. Even at those pressure, you will notice a big difference.

Member Array
    Car:
    09Euro, 08CR-V
    Quote Originally Posted by V205
    My philosophy for tyre pressure is use the highest pressure possible that doesn't cause the middle part of the tyre to wear at a faster rate (due to over inflation). This is geared towards better handling being the priority.

The alternative is using the lowest pressure that doesn't cause the outside edges of the tyre to wear at a faster rate (due to under inflation). This is geared towards better comfort being the priority.

However, the 1st option is better IMO because tyre looses air, so it will lose pressure and still maintain in ok wear pattern until the next air-pump, as oppose to the 2nd option loosing air causing underinflation and more tyre heat / wear and loss of handling performance.
    Totally agree with you. I always go for the 1st option described above.