Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Euro - Fog's

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Accord Euro Lux Black
    You're right, there are 80W H11. Had a quick squiz on the US eBay.
    That extra lighting would be nice =) Perhaps drill some extra holes in the back or sides of the housing for better ventilation and heat dissipation?

Member Array
    Car:
    Forced Induction
    Apart from aiming the fog lights/driving lights to fire upwards vs. downwards. The improved lighting even from a HID conversion kit is pointless without beam adjustment. I recently did the factory bulb to aftermarket bulb and finally HID conversation.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by AP1 F20c
    Apart from aiming the fog lights/driving lights to fire upwards vs. downwards. The improved lighting even from a HID conversion kit is pointless without beam adjustment. I recently did the factory bulb to aftermarket bulb and finally HID conversation.
    HID conversion would be nice but I don't think I am going to be able to use the driving lights all that often in Victoria.

So you were not happy with the aftermarket bulb?

Member Array
    Car:
    Forced Induction
    Slight color change, reduced visibility/light output thanks to film coated bulb. Chalk and cheese compared to retrofitted D2S HIDs. AFAIK - The rice bulbs were flagship PIAA ones as well.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Hey fellas - I just noticed something. I have read this chaps articles before and he seems to know everything there is to know about automotive lighting.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

But look what he says about the H11:

H11 bulbs

These new single-filament 55w bulbs are quickly supplanting HB4/9006 in new low-beam headlamp and fog lamp designs. (They are not physically interchangeable with any 9000-series bulb!) As is the case with other bulb families—such as 9004/9007, 9005/9006, etc.—the H11 has different base keys than its H9 high-beam and H8 fog lamp counterparts. Somebody goofed on the spec, though, for the difference between H11 and H9 base keys is insufficient; it's too easy to install an H9 bulb where an H11 belongs. The difference in light output between these two designs is enormous (1350 lumens from the H11, 2100 from the H9), so putting an H9 in place of an H11 will obviously cause the lamp to produce a lot more light. Some lamps are designed such that the optics would handle the extra light well, without creating excessive glare for other road users. Many, however, are not. As with H8 and H9, H11 bulbs are not widely available in the aftermarket.

H9 bulbs

These new single-filament 65w bulbs are rapidly gaining popularity amongst automakers for use primarily in high-beam headlamps, often in conjunction with H11 bulbs for the low beams. H9 is an extremely high output design (2100 lumens) with an extremely white light color.
    H9 bulbs are not physically interchangeable with any 9000-series bulb. As with H8 and H11, these are currently tough to find in the aftermarket.

Have I
    followed what Mr Stern is saying correctly? He is suggesting that a H9 bulb will fit a H11 application giving off 2100 lumens instead of 1350 yet only draw 65w? Is it worth giving this a try do you think - I really want my spots to be somewhat useful rather than cosmetic. And I am not going HID.

By the way - because I am o/s if anyone does happen to try this please speak up and post up any differences. I am very interested in this.
    Last edited by yfin; 08-10-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Update - this H11 to H9 conversion has been done on HSV Commodores and they are raving about it.

OK who is going to try this - if you do please post up some pics (a DIY would be perfect as there are lots of people with fogs on the Euro). As for fitment please let us know how you go - on the Commodores they are doing some minor work the globe socket but I don't know exactly what they mean without looking at the globe. http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=34619

The bonus with this mod is you can use even a basic H9 globe and you will get almost 50% more light.
    Last edited by yfin; 08-10-2006 at 11:03 PM.