Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MIVEC vs VTEC

Member Array
    Car:
    dc5r
    mivec automatically adjusts cam timing as well as the high/low cam profile, resulting in a smoother transition in power, whereas vtec only controls the cam profile... howeva the new i-vtec is very similar to the mivec system in that it adjusts both as well, only mitsubishi had it 10 years ago... why it doesn't work better is a mystery

Its also interesting to see the new EVO will boast a turbo mivec engine, sumthin that only the aftermarket cater for, for hondas...

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 SiR & CRV
    honda engines are much far more advanced than mitsu engines imho.

they're better built and seem to be far more reliable.

we always tend to hear about mitsu engines having tappet problems and cold start issues..

see these are common problems.. pros and cons will always come about.

people will have their own different opinions, but i believe that honda have better researched and developed more reliable engines.
    [EXE Crew]
    JDM EF9 SiR

mate look at the sr16ve variable valve timed 1.6litre pulling i think 220hp? dun quote me
    but only 400 of them made from nissan, but i think nissan paid royalties for them
    anyone can make variable valve timing, vtec is so marketed and overrated, its the only thing honda can sell

omg 4g63 engines are like the best 2.0litre production engine in the world and its been with the evos every since first production
    they pull so hard and the new mivec evo engines pull an extra 20 so kilowatts so obviously there mivec has improved and mitsu still encorporate it with their cars

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 SiR & CRV
    yeah.. good example:

from '03 onwards WRX's and STi's have been sporting the Varial Valve Timing too..
    they just don't say or classify it as "VTEC" but it's a similar concept....

many different car manufacturers are now using this so called old "amazing" concept
    which has furthermore improved the development of modern engines in today's cars.
    i believe quite many european cars are sporting the varial valve concept nowadays.
    [EXE Crew]
    JDM EF9 SiR

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 SiR & CRV
    Quote Originally Posted by V8_Hero
    omg 4g63 engines are like the best 2.0litre production engine in the world and its been with the evos every since first production
    they pull so hard and the new mivec evo engines pull an extra 20 so kilowatts so obviously there mivec has improved and mitsu still encorporate it with their cars
    IMHO, i wouldnt exactly say that they were the best production engine in the 2lt class..
    don't get me wrong, i'm not saying they're a POS...
    i actually owned an Evo just a few months ago..
    4G63 engines have gone a thorough change from the first generation to current.
    they've definitely improved their production with the newer version of the 4G63's..
    they are still sporting the same 'tappet issues' & 'cold starting issues'...
    maybe not so much with the latest model, but even the model just previous to the lastest evo..
    still had some issues... but so much has been rectified over the years.
    it's been such a popular choice for car enthusiasts (inspite of these minor issues)
    hence why the evo has been in production for so many years... it's been developed so much..
    i'm only giving you a few of the problems that have arisen...
    [EXE Crew]
    JDM EF9 SiR

yeah tahts true but all engines have their faults
    but really the 4g63 is best 2.0L category engine, next in line is sr20det

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 SiR & CRV
    i've actually read better reviews upon the EJ20's over 4G63's...

what does everyone else think or has experienced?

it's been a great debate for quite a while...
    [EXE Crew]
    JDM EF9 SiR

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi
    ur forgetting honda dont make forced induction enignes and the worlds best atmo 2L is the k20a
    CXi POWER

the EJ20s i feel are overrated, as different and good as they seem, their associated gear box and clutch problems jus beg to differ (cept with newer models)
    and imho horizontally opposed engines mechanics find are a bitch to work on
    i mean have u looked at a rex engine, omg spaghetti everywhere, wtf is that, its a 4 leg octopus

Quote Originally Posted by Surrufus
    ur forgetting honda dont make forced induction enignes and the worlds best atmo 2L is the k20a
    omfg, what do u call the honda city turbo?

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 SiR & CRV
    sorry that comparisation was for forced induced 2L engines

but yeah my previous posts were just VTEC and MIVEC
    [EXE Crew]
    JDM EF9 SiR