Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a Thought

Banned Array
    Car:
    DC4 <-----She's Gone :(

Just a Thought

I was just thinking today about hooking up a oxygen bottle to the intake * well not actually doing it* but if it was done would u be seeing more power ie like nos but without the Nitros, can this work?

Also if u have nothing constructive to say*u know who u are* then dont fkn post, I only want technical answers as to wheter therell be any benifits or not

Hmm. Has been discussed before im sure - but like alot of "good " ideas - if it actually worked, surely it would exist and be in use now ? Pure oxygen is highly flammable i have been told so it probably couldnt be used anyway. Also , a compressed canister of "air" - the air inside converts to atmospheric pressure ( IE 0 psi) once it is released from the enclosure SO this would also be useless. The point of a turbine ( in a supercharger or turbocharger) is to compress air into the induction cycle - achieving that which probably is impossbile with compressed air canister induction.

Correct me if wrong im just talkign out of my arse.

Banned Array
    Car:
    DC4 <-----She's Gone :(
    Im more thinking of actually putting it directly into the intake manifold I would assume that when the other air is flowing past it will also push the O2 into the engine, yer its flammabale but thats the point of it all, I would assume it would burn harder/faster and thus create alot more HP

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 03Vti
    did you watch Fast and Furious recently

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    BOOOM!!!

The effect could be similar to that achieved by a turbo/supercharger if it was set up so that the air was still quite dense when it entered the manifold (which would allow more air to be packed into each combusition cycle) but the effect would be much more easily and cheaply achieved with forced induction of some kind, the air itself wouldn't burn any harder/faster than if it was compressed in a turbo or supercharger.

The only real benefit I can think of would be that the air would be very cold and so would be more efficiently combusted and you would avoid most of the heat issues associated with forced induction but I think it would be a lot of hassle for very little gain and playing with cryogenics can be very very dangerous... also expressed as..

Quote Originally Posted by VTEC16
    BOOOM!!!
    "He who would travel happily must travel light"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Member Array
    Car:
    Ventura Bus Route
    Quote Originally Posted by tegstar83
    Im more thinking of actually putting it directly into the intake manifold I would assume that when the other air is flowing past it will also push the O2 into the engine, yer its flammabale but thats the point of it all, I would assume it would burn harder/faster and thus create alot more HP
    id imagine this wouldnt do much. once O2 is realeased from a canister or bottle or whatever, its, well, nothing. so there is nothing compressing the air, or nothing 'pushing' the air into where u want it to go. by having a bottle or whatever mounted to go into the intake manifold, i think it'd have the same affect of a pod filter...just normal air.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS300
    You would need to have some form of control how much air, and at what pressure. And u wouldnt need to have as much air getting forced into the intake manifold while your idling, compared to when you hitting vtec.... It would be a huge mammoth task to setup for very little gains Im sure! and Im sure mr plod would frown upon you with a oxy tank in your engine compartment, when pulled over for a friendly 'defect inspection'

You would be best to strap the compressed O2 bottle to your tailpipe open the valve and use this to help propel you

But in all its an idea...

Hmm maybe could feed compressed air out of a air conditioning system into your air filter!?!? Im sure the cooler dense air would have some form of gain?!?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    Ummm well

1. Pure oxygen itself isnt flamable... Result from a fire is H20 + CO2, there is no C or H in pure oxygen therefore its NOT flamable (Fuel, C8H10 + O2 -> H2O + CO2)

2. Air itself is only 22% oxygen (N2O [NOS] is 33% ogygen. hence power increase) so if u feed pure oxygen in there, there would be a power increase

Quote Originally Posted by aimre
    Ummm well

1. Pure oxygen itself isnt flamable... Result from a fire is H20 + CO2, there is no C or H in pure oxygen therefore its NOT flamable (Fuel, C8H10 + O2 -> H2O + CO2)
    what level of "oxygen" is flammable ?
    (Shown in the media or movies etc - is say medical oxygen , which blows up often ?!?)

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by aimre
    Ummm well

2. Air itself is only 22% oxygen (N2O [NOS] is 33% ogygen. hence power increase) so if u feed pure oxygen in there, there would be a power increase
    There was example of how dangerous pure oxygen is at the Adelaide 500 2 years ago. BOC delivered pure oxygen to the GTP Ferrari team. They didn't check it just connected it up thinking it was compressed air. A guy started using a rattle gun the gun exploded broke the guys arm and the oxygen hose was spraying around with flames coming out of it setting fire to the tent and almost burnt the tent down.

Nitrous isn't explosive FnF style. This is why it's used instead of pure oxygen.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    again, Result from a fire is H20 + CO2, there is no C or H in pure oxygen therefore its NOT flamable. its really simple chemistry.

O2 (oxygen molecule[2 oxygen atoms bonded]) with a spark will not combust,

BUT if its in the presence of a fuel, the fire will burn much more fiercly. The more oxgen, the more fire (only if there is a fuel)

So if there is an explosion, and theres pure oxygen (100%) instead of air (22% oxygen) the fire/ explosion would be more fierce.

I give u a challenge... PROVE ME WRONG... write me a combustion equation with oxygen as a fuel