Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    No controversy at all.No brainer or not ~ its a simple idea to check on these Jazz engines , over time and see if they are mechanically ok.
    Not 1.5 years , but say in 3 or 4 or 5 years time ( or say 50k or 100k time etc). Lets keep an eye out.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CiviC
    What's this counter weight balance hump you speak of? I'm guessing it looks pretty obvious once you're looking at one. Where can I find out if the D-series engine are internally or externally balanced? The crank pulley on my D16Y4 was a solid single piece from memory but I remember that the mitsu magna I used to drive had a 2 piece harmonic balancer that was joined together by a piece of rubber. I remember this well as it separated on me just as I pulled into my driveway one day!
    Project Civic777 - obsession for achievement

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG hybrid
    ...yet another concern makes me wonder to add to this threat...

It seems there are two similar but different critical mechanical vibrations generated at the crankshaft. Imbalanced rotational mass and torsional vibrations. A harmonic balancer and a torsional damper are used to reduce crankshaft vibrations respectively.

Info found: -
    1. http://www.epi-eng.com/BAS-TorVibInt.htm
    2. http://www.epi-eng.com/ET-PistonExcit.htm
    3. http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeA...ch/dampers.pdf

After analysing, It looks like lighten crank pulley for honda is highly unlikely a harmonic balancer. However, the need for torsional damping and the effect of lighten crank pulley for and on honda engines need further clarifications... Hope a someone knowledgable in this forum can answer this...

I have one installed and it seems slightly increases NHV and rev. response but i'm starting to get abit worried regarding the torsional damping effect.

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    FWIW, we don't use lightweight alloy pulleys on high output engines.
    What we do use are dampers by "Fluid Damper" & "ATI Performance Products"
    Both are extreemly effective removing torsional crankshaft vibrations.
    See these sites: http://www.fluidampr.com/ and http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/
    I won't say that one is better than the other as they are both top shelf products.
    I do like the 360deg lazer etched timing marks on the ATI damper, as it makes cam timing a breaze.
    Though more so on nissan engines than Honda engines due to difference in camshaft set up procedure etc (Sorry - I have digressed)

IMO, if the engine is near standard.
    There is little to be gained changing to an alloy pulley.
    Give it a go if you must...
    But be aware, you may simply be convincing yourself in your mind that this was a worthwhile modification. When in actual fact there is little to no gain at all. That is, IMO the perceived gain would be quite difficult to measure is real terms.
    Example. What time is it worth on the 1/4 mile?
    I'd say 0.05 ~ 0.1sec if you're lucky.
    Should that be the case, is it really worth the bother?
    Also of note... Alloy pulleys are banned in import racing in USA.
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by TODA AU View Post

IMO, if the engine is near standard.
    There is little to be gained changing to an alloy pulley.
    That is, IMO the perceived gain would be quite difficult to measure is real terms.
    Should that be the case, is it really worth the bother?
    Would it be correct saying this is comparable to mods of similar benefit?
    IE are only useful "...in the owners mind" ? Mods that do not increase power at all but increase power to weight ratio or mechanical response such as light flywheel or CF / fibreglass hood or panels , or smaller rims etc ?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG hybrid
    i'm using a lighten alloy crank pulley and improvements are very minimal even on my worked top n bottom B16. Motor responsiveness noticable improvement only on low to mid rpm. I'd say money better spend elsewhere and should be at the bottom end of the shopping list.

I'm interested to hear anyone who are using a crank damper...also as to what extend a modified motor needs a crank damper?

Member Array
    Car:
    Red Civic Coupe EJ8
    Last edited by LoiBoi; 13-05-2007 at 12:48 PM.