Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.8 or crvtec?

1.8 or crvtec?

i currently have a b16a2 in my del sol crx, it has already had a stroker kit put through it, with many upgrades to the rest of motor, its about 1800cc, which initially gave me huge diffence in power... but i'm looking at different alternatives to more power...
    i'm playing with the idea of doing a crvtec conversion, i know that automatically i will increase my torgue levels dramatically, but will it be a sacrifice on peak performance? ive been doing a bit of research on these on the usa forums, and they seem like a pretty viable option...
    Do you think it is really worth upgrading to this engine....????

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    the stock B20/b16a engine combo will not be able to handle revs.
    though if done right this motor can give you the torque of a 2L motor and rev happyness of the B16a motor.
    you'll need to strenghten the crank and get aftermarket pistons too
    and the block will need to be strengthened as the CRV block cracks at high RPM temps
    this is what i have researched so far
    though you'll have to wait for people with experience..
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

Member Array
    Car:
    EG, GC8
    Quote Originally Posted by [[d a n n y]]
    you'll need to strenghten the crank and get aftermarket pistons too and the block will need to be strengthened as the CRV block cracks at high RPM temps..
    by strengthening, what do u mean... im a noob but im interested in this setup aswell.

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    after all the strengthening/upgrading, will it still be a reliable engine ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    B20 Block is gonna cost you alot of money if u want it to run reliabily.. you need to spend a WHOLE

lot of money....
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

Maybe rather than a "trade rating" we should have a "Done it" or a "Read about it on the internet" in regards to technical knowledge....

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR
    Maybe rather than a "trade rating" we should have a "Done it" or a "Read about it on the internet" in regards to technical knowledge....
    hahah.. isnt that in the wrong thread/forum?...
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

I spun mine to 8500 heaps. About 80 Dyno runs (big thanx to Dyno Dave) and 23 runs down the quarter with no problems. Motor was built by one of the most knowledgable guys in the country tho.....

By strengthening they mean sleeving or posting. Search is your friend but sleeving is replacing the bore section of the motor with a ductile sleeve for superior strength.
    Posting is adding a steel post in between the existing bore and the outer part of the block to add strength. Like wedging a bolt in there but a little more professional....

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR
    I spun mine to 8500 heaps. About 80 Dyno runs (big thanx to Dyno Dave) and 23 runs down the quarter with no problems. Motor was built by one of the most knowledgable guys in the country tho.....

By strengthening they mean sleeving or posting. Search is your friend but sleeving is replacing the bore section of the motor with a ductile sleeve for superior strength.
    Posting is adding a steel post in between the existing bore and the outer part of the block to add strength. Like wedging a bolt in there but a little more professional....
    Yeah you are spot on ALLMTR as yours and Tinkerbells old motors prove that you can make good power and torque with these engines and still rev them to 8500rpm with no problems if they are tuned correctly.If you have a B20 or B18A or B block to get it sleeved to run upto a 86mm bore will cost you around $2800.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia
    Member of Master Of Vtec Group

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    yeap sleeving and stuff
    abe from C & B's actaully building 1 at the moment.
    and i saw his work on the engine.
    it invovoled alot.
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

And he has a spare one too...........

Quote Originally Posted by [[d a n n y]]
    yeap sleeving and stuff
    abe from C & B's actaully building 1 at the moment.
    and i saw his work on the engine.
    it invovoled alot.
    Yeah that engine is finished and was fired up yesterday Abe and myself finished off the headers and it will be in the dyno today.It had the sleeving done by Golden Eagle in the States same as I have done on the next 2 that we are building.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia
    Member of Master Of Vtec Group