Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

[Euro] Clutch Wear

Hey all,

I took my car for a drive after finally getting my stereo problems sorted out but it looks like my bad luck isn't letting up. I've noticed that the take up point of the clutch is further back than usual and that it doesn't seem to be gripping any where near as well as it use to. I've never driven a car from new before like this so don't know what it feels like to really wear in a clutch.

What do u think -

the clutch has somehow been damaged and may need replacment?

or

I'm a noob and don't know what a clutch feels like when it wears in?

I really hope its the second one becuase i know clutches are hard to get replaced under warranty

If I have to pay for a new one i guess thats an excuse for a racing clutch and lightweight fly wheel (probably cheaper than the real parts from honda)

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Does it slip in say 5th/6th gear when you are picking up speeds in the freeway? (TELL TALE signs of slipping clutch)

Not sure what you mean by the clutch engaging further back, do you mean further away from where you are sitting or when you are letting go of the clutch, it takes more travel of the pedal before you feel it grabbing?

Advice is, go to the Dealer and ask

Good Luck
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

I'll have to try it out this afternoon when i get the car back. I've actually taken it in to honda already and i've asked them to have a look at it.

"it takes more travel of the pedal before you feel it grabbing" is what i meant to say (further back as in i have to release it for a greater distance).

Also when it does take up it seems to be a weaker "grabbing" feeling. It's quite noticeable and it's actually made it a lot harder to take off smoothly (without wheel chirp or bog-down) im just finding it really hard to find where abouts its grabbing on. The friction point also seems to last for a lot longer than what it used to.

Thanks for the advice euroaccord13, i'll let you know whats goin on when i get the car back this arvo.

I remember reading that somone on the forum had to ahve their clutch replaced after very few kilometers (similar to me at around 15,000)... to that person what did the clutch feel like when it started giving way?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Just wondering, do you have any creaking sounds when you press your clutch pedal in?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

nope no creaking sounds - had the master cylinder replaced at 10,000kms

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Replaced at 10,000km? So you had the problem before that? Hmm, so it might have had up to 10,000km of accelerated wear. Well, keep us updated. I've also noticed that my clutch does not grab as hard anymore when shifting (normal driving, shift at 3000rpm). But I can still take off smoothly, and the clutch bite point has not changed. I had my master cylinder changed at 3900km, and I'm only at 8000km now.

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Subaru Liberty GT-B
    hmmm sounds more and more concerning.

when my clutch went bye bye, it slipped while i was in 5th and 6th gear, it went down hill from that in 1-2 weeks where the catching point was right at the top of the clutch.

I haven't noticed a creaking tho, maybe not listening hard enough.

My new clutch (oem) seems to be fine still, still very catchy in all gears (shifting around 3-4k rpm normally) but it feels about right. Only 4000km on the new clutch thus far and approx 14,000km total, old one died around 9700km.

Keep us updated for sure!
    MY07 Subaru Liberty GT 2.5T B.Spec 6SPD MT | Satin White Pearl
    MY04 Honda Accord Euro Luxury 6SPD MT | Arctic Blue
    MY00 Chrysler Neon LE AT | Red Salsa

I just got home from honda. The car is still hard to launch smoothly and liek you said virIIx the catching point on my clutch has moved further up aswell.

If its still a problem (which it will be) they are going to look into it further at the 20,000km service.

I'm at 15500km or so now and if the clutch goes this early surely it'd be covered under warranty?

VirIIx did they make you foot the bill for a new clutch? I don't see how you could be at fault after having only driven the car for under 10,000. I mean shit - my learner car (a corrola) had more of a bite to its clutch then i do now and it'd been used by beginners for 150,000 km or so.

Supposedly honda gearboxes are really reliable... Any more info on how the master cylinder may have caused premature wear?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's halfway down this thread: http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/show...aster+cylinder, posted by 97AcuraCL

thanks

holy crap... those threads on the TSX forum aren't very reassuring at all.

I have a really strong feeling now that my clutch is on the way out

At first i thought it may just be wearing in... but the car is getting harder to launch and changes between gears are much smoother than what they shoudl be... it doesnt even feel like the clutch is ren-gaging there is that little feel.