Thread: Type R Pistons

Type R Pistons

I read that ITR's have low friction pistons.
    And I was wondering what/how this works or is it just a normal piston but Honda just uses some marketing hype?
    As I never heard of high friction pistons

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 - AP1
    from wat ive seen...itr pistons are blackish / shadow chromish n more smooth on the side then other pistons...

from that integra video i watched, the b18c has the fastest moving piston in any production car engine. :S must be low friction.

M3 has the fastest moving pistons on a production car

So it's a kind of "coating" then?
    Is it possible to coat standard pistons in that?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The Type R piston has molybdenum coating on the skirts. It's also lightened, forged and matched to the rod and the position on the crankshaft.

Molybdenum coating has also been used on the Jazz's 1.5 litre (VTEC and maybe the iDSI engine too)

BTW, the M3 pistons move at 4773.33 Ft/min, the Integra Type R with B18C5 is 4802 Ft/min, while the king is the S2000 2.0L with 4965 Ft/min.
    Last edited by aaronng; 16-06-2005 at 04:28 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Where can I get this molybdenum coating? And what do you mean matched to the position of the crank???

And are you talking about the new or old M3? As I distinctly remember reading it was the M3 which had the fastest moving pistons in a road car

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 & CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by spetz
    M3 has the fastest moving pistons on a production car
    well so far aaronng has the figures, so dont state anything without backing it up

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The piston speeds have been discussed before over in the Accord forum. If you search there, there is a post, with the top 10 piston speeds. It's a new list since the Gallardo is in it as well. The M3 listed was the E46 M3.

I'm sure a large enough tuning parts company might have a piston with moly coating. I don't think it is the ultimate mod. As far as I remember, the B18C had moly coating because they shaved so much off the piston to lighten, that it would wobble a bit at high speed if there was slightly more friction on one side than the other. So they applied moly coating to the piston skirt to reduce friction. But when you think of it, how can the piston wobble?! Well, that was quoted by the Honda engineer. I'll give you the link to the article on the Type R.

http://www.dohc-vtec.com.au/pages/li...udm-vs-jdm.htm
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

hmm...
    Quite an interesting read.

I am going to start a thread about engine balancing now!