Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...

Lightbulb Steering Wheel Tech

Hey guys

Alright we all know that its illegal and probably unsafe to disconnect and change a steering wheel if its got a stock airbag... thats fair enough

but, is it legal or possible to have a "boss kit" that lets me put on a better steering wheel for track and then reconnect my normal steerng wheel for everyday driving while retaining airbag function?

and is it possible to wire it up so that its an easy "plug and play" between swaps?|

on the track...you can run many things not legit on the street ( not to mention the speed ofcourse) . But at the end of the day...its your safety as prioroity.
    If you have an accident , having the SRS disconnected too will no doubt void any hope of claiming anything on insurance.

I wouldnt try to make up any DIY harness or clip for a easy on/off SRS system - there is too much chance the thing would trip and possibly go off while driving normally.
    IT is possible tho.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    yeh ben i get exactly wot u mean... safety is of course the highest priority (not to metnion insurance as well..)

thats y i'm asking if theres a safe and easy way to do this... whereby i can remove steering wheel AND airbag for track...finish the day's fun...get the airbag wheel outta my boot and "slot" it back in...

kinda looking for a "plug and play" solution

and i am aware that i can just get a CTR steering wheel... but to be honest even they are too big in the little cramped space of an EK4...

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    Quote Originally Posted by **Ghost**
    thats y i'm asking if theres a safe and easy way to do this... whereby i can remove steering wheel AND airbag for track...finish the day's fun...get the airbag wheel outta my boot and "slot" it back in...
    No, because all aftermarket boss kits replace the cable reel which is required for the airbag. Besides removing the airbag is not just a matter of unplugging it. The correct procedure must be followed to avoid accidental deployment, and that is not a 5min "plug and play" job. The CTR wheel is by far the best solution.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    i feared as much...thanks for the definitive reply tho...

the CTR wheel imho is no better except for looks... sigh... goddamnit...

ok wat if you have taken off the air bag and put on a aftermarket wheel
    why does the horn go off ???