Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    Sorry i don't agree. Lifting off the throttle is altering the balance of the car via a transfer of weight off the rear wheels.......hence INDUCING oversteer as the rear loses traction.
    but isnt oversteer the loss of traction in the rear wheels?
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Quote Originally Posted by BlitZ
    but isnt oversteer the loss of traction in the rear wheels?

IMO no - since "understeer" is not necessarily "loss of traction" -

IMO both understeer and oversteer can be defined as the tendency for either the rear axle or front axle to loose balance with the opposite end and be guided by inertia to the widest point of a corner.

This could be via throttle control , loss of tracion , differential bias , crappy driving , excess speed or whatever...

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin

IMO both understeer and oversteer can be defined as the tendency for either the rear axle or front axle to loose balance with the opposite end and be guided by inertia to the widest point of a corner.

This could be via throttle control , loss of tracion , differential bias , crappy driving , excess speed or whatever...
    yesh it is... its the physical car moving .. not somehitng u feel in the seat of your pants...

you might feel its gonna oversteer in the heat of the moment.. but your car has yet to oversteer..and corrections dont even need to be made.

you cant get the feeling from the dictionary

what happens when your car looses balance? it tippie toes and regains balance?
    Last edited by BlitZ; 23-06-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira

and i think the dictionary meaning is about drifting.... \

how do u get oversteer in rwd? you induce it with the throttle control...
    how do u get oversteer in fwd? you induce it with the throttle control...
    Many things im sure have to be considered/applied for "understeer or oversteer" to occur. Speed , traction , weight bias , brake bias , power , differential types , ground surface etc etc.

You can come into the apex of a corner too fast or be braking etc and understeer wide. No "induced power" there.

You can lift off mid corner -weight is transfered to the front axle and the rear will sometimes break traction OR you apply the handbrake OR there is lack of sufficinent grip - all brining the rear into "oversteer".
    No "induced power" there either.

yesh it is... its the physical car moving .. not somehitng u feel in the seat of your pants...
    what happens when your car looses balance? it tippie toes and regains balance?
    IMO Oversteer and understeer are NOT just "loss of traction" - they are from differential bias or wheel alignment etc too.
    The front or rear axle AFAIK does not have to be loosing traction to be in "oversteer" or "understeer".

Can someone who 100% knows what they are talking about reply here ?
    Remember this is all "IMO" ....

Keep the discussion up tho !

Moderator - here to help Array
    what is oversteer and understeer
    i dont think it explains much but it gives the readers an idea of the concept.
    Want to improve OH's website? Make a thread in the site discussion forum.

Know of a nice ride and think it should be featured? Send me a PM.

Hand out PQ points where deserved. Info HERE.

Provide feedback when buying/selling from OH members. Info HERE.

Subscribe to OH and benefit. Info HERE.

OzHonda Terms and Conditions HERE.

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    oversteer is over steer....
    what happens when u lift off the throttle mid corner? u get over steer...

Most oversteer is throttle induced.. even in rear wheel drive
    I agree, yes it is a type of oversteer. But its not the same as what we are talking about here. We are talking about the natural reaction by the car when its been taken to the edge. Not when it has been induced by lifting off the accelerator, touching the brakes, or any other means.

And when you mentioned about being able to induce lift-off oversteer with a 22mm rear sway bar, the sway bar will make it easier. But I can induce lift-off oversteer on my car which has no rear sway bar.

Lift-off oversteer is caused by the shift of the car weight moving when you suddenly back off the accelerator at high speeds. This causes the car to unbalance and oversteer is usually the result.

Personally I think understeer is when there is loss of traction at the front wheels, which causes your front to continue straight and run off your line through the corner. Oversteer is when the rear looses traction and causes the back end to run off the line through the corner.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    Oversteer and lift off oversteer are two different things.
    IMO no - since "understeer" is not necessarily "loss of traction"
    WOT oversteer and lift-off oversteer are to two different things. But they are both classified as oversteer and are a result of loss of traction of the rear wheels. Just like understeer is a result of loss of traction of the front wheels.

If you guys take a step back you will realise you are wrong and that u are arguing a frivolous point.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    VTEC16 is right on the money

that is exactly what i am saying...
    its a mod slug fest

I cant believe they arent agreeing with
    "
    And all oversteer is throttle induced......!!!!
    QUOTE!!! throttle induced.....
    lift off(FWD) or accelerate (RWD)!!!!!
    "
    Last edited by BlitZ; 23-06-2005 at 12:34 PM.

VTEC16 is right on the money

its a mod slug fest

I cant believe they arent agreeing with
    "
    And all oversteer is throttle induced......!!!!
    QUOTE!!! throttle induced.....
    lift off(FWD) or accelerate (RWD)!!!!!
    "

remember you stated from under+oversteer must be from/via a loss of traction . And i said understeer/ovesteer IS NOT just throttle induced.

I want this discussion to keep going as it all is our opinons

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VTEC16
    WOT oversteer and lift-off oversteer are to two different things. But they are both classified as oversteer and are a result of loss of traction of the rear wheels. Just like understeer is a result of loss of traction of the front wheels.

If you guys take a step back you will realise you are wrong and that u are arguing a frivolous point.
    That's what i'm trying to say........they are both cases of over oversteer however in one case it is induced as you back off the throttle and in the other case it is a direct inheritance of the cars suspension setup.

I'm not saying you're wrong Blitz.....i'm just saying one is induced intentionally by backing off the throttle.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    its a mod slug fest
    And why is that?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq