Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 RB3 Luxury

THE TRUTH ABOUT CIVIC EK EXHAUST PIPE (AKA B-PIPE) VS VISION B-Pipe. WITH PICS

Oke guys,

I thought it might good to post this up to clarify once and for all.

Especially those who will want to change into aftermarket exhaust system.

FACT 1
    STOCK EXHAUST CIVIC EK PIPE (EITHER BE HATCH, SEDAN OR COUPE) ARE ALL SAME LENGTH

FACT 2
    STOCK EXHAUST PIPE AKA B-PIPE, IS OF THE SAME LENGHT OF VISION B-PIPE.
    This is good news for people as this means the pipe can be bolt-on right away without the need to use aftermarket car or modification.

FACT 3
    DO U NEED TO CHANGE THE STOCK EXHAUST PIPE? YES IF YOU WANT BETTER PERFORMANCE. CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEVE, CHANGING THE MUFFLER ONLY WONT DO ANY GOOD.

WHY?
    To save cost, your stock Honda exhaust is made with small-diameter crush-bent pipe. Crush bends are easy and inexpensive to make, which ideal for mass production. However crush bends can reduce the flow of a pipe by up to 50%.
    Mandrel bending is done with a special machine that uses non-crushable insert, called a mandrel that goes into a pipe while bending to prevent it from becoming crushed. The bend is smooth, which helps with exhaust flow.
    Build as a one piece pipe to gain maximise exhaust flow.

I HAVE TAKEN A SAMPLE USING VISION B-PIPE (WHICH HAPPEN TO BE THE SAME AS SPOON B-PIPE SINCE VISION MAKE FOR SPOON) IN THIS CASE TO ILLUSTRATE A POINT. I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHER GOOD COMPANY AS WELL.

VISION B-PIPE IS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF MANDREL BENT PIPE THAT IS FAIRLY INEXPENSIVE TO OWN. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY IT GIVE YOU THE LIBERTY TO FIT IT WITH ANY OTHER MUFFLER BRAND OF YOUR CHOICE.

I HOPE THIS CLEAR UP THE ISSUE ONCE AND FOR ALL.

PLEASE POST IT A STICKY IF IT IS HELPFUL

AXLE-BACK END, CONNECTING TO THE MUFFLER

CATALYTIC END
    Web: www.jdmconcept.com.au

Email: sales@jdmconcept.com.au

Like our Facebook page and get the latest special offer and news update

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK B16B
    this is true! i bought one off him and it fits, i'll post some pics up shortly and my personal opinion!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    "WHY?
    To save cost, your stock Honda exhaust is made with small-diameter crush-bent pipe. Crush bends are easy and inexpensive to make, which ideal for mass production. However crush bends can reduce the flow of a pipe by up to 50%.
    Mandrel bending is done with a special machine that uses non-crushable insert, called a mandrel that goes into a pipe while bending to prevent it from becoming crushed. The bend is smooth, which helps with exhaust flow.
    Build as a one piece pipe to gain maximise exhaust flow"

Hey, I'm considerin this pipe as well...but just wanna know, in relation to what was said above.....are you talking about all stock EK exhausts? including EK4 & EK9 about it being crush-bent?

Thanks

Moderator Array
    Car:
    s2k,ED,EG
    that means i can use the stock cat aswell?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK B16B
    u can use the stock cat : )

Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 RB3 Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by civtir
    "WHY?
    Build as a one piece pipe to gain maximise exhaust flow"

Hey, I'm considerin this pipe as well...but just wanna know, in relation to what was said above.....are you talking about all stock EK exhausts? including EK4 & EK9 about it being crush-bent?

Thanks
    I have not seen EK9 Type R pipe, but as far as i know all stock pipe is crush bent... doesnt matter which EK.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 RB3 Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry
    that means i can use the stock cat aswell?
    if you are putting on JDM header which has 2.5inch collector (standard header collector is 2 inch i think), you cant fit it. It will cause a "bottleneck" anyway if you use stock cat on your exhaust system whould you have a header with 2.5inch collector and a 2 inch cat-converter.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3-R
    so jdm headers wont fit aus spec cat con.....exhaust shops should b able to provide a 2.25 cat? or custom made one?
    BBC/IC

Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 RB3 Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by civicboy
    so jdm headers wont fit aus spec cat con.....exhaust shops should b able to provide a 2.25 cat? or custom made one?
    With JDM DC2R 98 SPEC 4-1 Header, you need a 2.5inch cat since the collector is 2.5 inch.

Member Array
    Car:
    was a honda
    the VISION centre pipe does NOT fit on my stock 2000 civic vtir coupe, i just tried to get it fitted today (21/09/05), it sits about 10cm longer towards the back when the VISION centre pipe is lined up to the stock cat.........but the VISION muffler fits fine on the stock centre pipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image002.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	1276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image003.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	1277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image004.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	1278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image005.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	1279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image006.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	1281  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image007.jpg 
Views:	938 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	1282  
    Last edited by ian; 21-09-2005 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added pics

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    im planning on getting a set of headers which are not the 60mm (2.36?inch) they will be 2.5.. i plan on using a cat (will need to get a 2.5inch cat) and need a 2.5inch b-pipe also. (dont want to spend a heap of money on a bottleneck!)

Are there any JDM companies who make 2.5 inch b-pipes for an EG with cat? or would i need a custom b-pipe and cat.. if so, can local exhaust shops do a good job with it?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    yeah also for example, the vision/spoon 4>2 header is designed to bolt to the OEM 2>1 piece before the stock cat.. stock cat retained, the B-pipe will fit up perfectly and SHOULD bolt to your OEM axle-back..

one thing though, when I fitted a mandrel-bent axle-back COWLEY muffler (straight-thru) on my EG5 - I DID get a small but noticeable gain or at least it allowed the motor to rev more freely.. this is mainly due to the flow characteristic of the OEM muffler design.. but sorry back on topic..