Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best 4 cylinder engine in the world

What do people think is the worlds best 4 cylinder engine?
    Most robust, reliable, efficient etc.

I for one am voting for a 4G63 from Evolution's...

But I am expecting a lot of Honda engine's to pop up here

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    My vote goes to the f20c just ahead of the k20a
    Quote Originally Posted by z3lda
    ey, was drivin a honda city before...
    felt like the biggest poofter in the world..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SiR JDM
    My vote goes to the f20c just ahead of the k20a
    ditto...

Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    although i love my B series honda, i think the SR20 would have to be up there as one tough engine.

edit: to be more specific i ment the sr20det

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    In terms of toughness, the 4G63. Reliability.... Hmm... probably the K20A. Power per litre, F20C. In the end, an engine is an engine. All these engines are the same with just different levels of tuning and cam profiles. Certain ones like the BMW V10 break the mould once in a while (full aluminium silicon block, NO liners) and 10 throttle bodies. Hehe.

Also, nice gems from the factory come once in a while, like the B18C5.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    ohh man what a question..

N/A or Forced induction ?

we talking completely bone-stock from the factory or highly tuned ?

and by 'best' what do you mean ?? most HP, Most Torque, most innovative, highest HP/Litre ratio.. best build quality ?

anyway..

For N/A 4-cyl I dont think you can go past the B16A (Gen 1) when you consider that it was implemented into 'cheap' production cars WAAAYY back in 1989 !! over 100HP per Litre plus variable valve timing and electronic lift controll on a DOHC 16v all-alloy engine that revs to 8,000RPM all day happilly.. not to mention OBD1 and PGMFI being very advanced systems for their time.

For 21st century HONDAs I'd agree that the F20C motor is very tasty and arguably the benchmark for the K20.. the K20 which is heading towards optimal efficiency for N/A internal combustion engines in terms of design however to be honest I fear that honda has aimed the K-series of motors to be almost too-generic and mindfull of cost compared to the extravagant packages previously on offer such as the B16B. F20C, H22A and C30As.. if you know what I mean..

Honda has always prided themselves firtsly and foremostly as an engine manufacturer and with noted exceptions (City Turbo and JGTCC NSX-T), prides itself also on building strong and efficient Naturally Aspirated engines. I'd be surprised if there was a better N/A engine builder form the factory, however I admit I may be naive to certain other Japanese manufacturers offerings and do not ignore european (especially German) 4-cyllinder offerings from Porche, Audi, BMW.. then over to italy with some hot Alpha's and even Fiats.

My other favorite N/A 4-cyl engine that I have experienced is Toyota's 4AG (Ithink) 20V with the wierd sortov 'VTEC' etc. but once again I admit I am naive to other builder's engine codes.

LMFAO off topic there's a "V-Tech" infomercial on TV as I am typing this.. "you must have heard of V-Tech" was the opening line LMFAO... DONT THEY KNOW THERE'S NO "H" ;P

Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    Naturally asperated engine award would have to go to honda wouldn't it? Just the simple fact that they produce 100hp/L is very impressive! If holden were to do this, they would have 570hp engines in all their hsv range! LOL
    they're 6cyl VN commo would produce 380 hp...... YEAH RIGHT!!

half an LS2
    ...j/k
    seriously h22a cos they are better than the b series engines

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 CXi
    d16y4... lol. They don't go fast, but they take a lickin' & keep on tickin'...

Member Array
    Car:
    SY Accord
    NA has to go to the b16a, follwed closesly by h22a, k20a and f20c (in no particualr order)

FI id give it to the 4G63.

H22A, F20C.. if we're talking NA, also the 2L in the Renaultsport Clio 182

Forced induction, the 4G63 has to have it..
    "He who would travel happily must travel light"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery