when japs had quad cam v8s like 15 years ago

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Euro 6sp Mt & 02 CRV
    the koeniegsegg CCR engine.
    V8 supercharged
    806 BHP
    920NM
    i went down rosebay to look at a black one the other day..
    loads of CF.
    the thing looks like a batmobile..
    900 000 before taxes etc.

s tune Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 sold :(

Thumbs down

Ls2 is nothing special, 6.0L and only 297kw, I mean BMW's 5.0L from a few years back made a lazy 295ish kw. I mean come on, sohc and 3 (or 2 can't quite recall) valves per cylinder, where's the effort to bring it into todays world let alone the 80's? You don't have to look far to find something far better in refinement and efficiency. Look I was brought up a Holden man with HSV's and Dad's own engine rebuilds, but I discovered High tech machinery and now Dad's converted too, got a Liberty GT and loves it! Mate even my integra's embarrassed a passengerless CV8 with 2 mates in my car. Just some food for thought. No offense intended.

LS2 isn't even overhead cam. Its 1 camshaft that runs down between the cylinder banks which operates pushrods. It has 2 valves per cylinder for a grand total of 16 valves! My D16Y1 has 16 valves.. hmmmn, can anyone say low-tech? about the only advantage of pushrod V8s is they seem to be a lot gruntier than their overhead cam cousins for some reason..
    "He who would travel happily must travel light"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

the hp/litre argument isn't really valid here as it's much a product of the state of tune of the motor. i've seen an ls1 with ls1 edit, cam, exhaust, header and intake pull something in the vicinity or 290kw at the wheels. thats a shitload of power. i believe the car went on to run a low 12.
    thats represented a 6k investment i was told. not bad really.
    i can only imagine what an ls2 would do, given it has ~300cc more capacity and -i'm guessing- a better head design.

i hear that the nissan vq45 is an awesome piece of machinery too.
    And so it begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva_Blue
    LS2 isn't even overhead cam. Its 1 camshaft that runs down between the cylinder banks which operates pushrods. It has 2 valves per cylinder for a grand total of 16 valves! My D16Y1 has 16 valves.. hmmmn, can anyone say low-tech? about the only advantage of pushrod V8s is they seem to be a lot gruntier than their overhead cam cousins for some reason..
    the ls1 and ls2 v8's are very well packaged designs. they're small, light and make good power. they might have issues with reciprocating mass, but i still reckon they're the mofo shit.
    And so it begins...

LS1 and LS2... small, light and lots of power does not a good engine make, not when it has 16 valves and 1 camshaft.. they're both pretty damned inefficient stonage machines imo.. If you're after something aussie with shitloads of torque, buy an FPV Tornado.. If you want power, there is a plethora of other machines out there that do the 300kw+ formula using less fuel and putting out fewer tailpipe nasties. I can't think that an engine with basic architechture dating back to the 1970's is a good engine.. Personally I would rather be able to brag about how much power my engine make AND how little fuel it does it with AND how hightech it is rather than just how much it makes.. thats just me..
    "He who would travel happily must travel light"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Old M5 engine for sure

And LS2??? Best V8? It's a pushrod!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    F430's engine. Not as eleagant as F360's but heaps better.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Blown NHBP CL9
    aussie holden is just plain SHIT!

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR Coupe
    The new Mugen Legend Max engine
    2nd that! The mugen V8 was the first motor that poped into my head, quickley followed by the F430 motor

Member Array
    Mercedes Benz SL 55 AMG - V8 368kw, 700nm