Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

lowered civics with big wheels: do you all have the same prob as me?

got my eg lowered, its got 17s.. now everytime im cornering, the wheels would rub the guard. Been searching on the topic and saw that camber kits are the only way to fix the problem but are also expensive. Can anyone give a rough estimate on how much a kit will cost for the EG hatch. Im not exactly sure what a camber kit does and why it helps, can anyone explain that also. Ive got some idea but i need a better discription in my head

also what are roll guards? and how does it compare to camber kits including price.

thanx

Member Array
    Car:
    accord 96 vtis
    how low is it?

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Also how wide are the wheels?

Im not sure a camber kit will help here. A camber kit is a piece that allows you to adjust the camber if there are no camber adjustments that were on the car. Ie on an ek you can't adjust the front camber so a camber kit is sometimes needed.

Rolling the guards pushes back some of the metal on the car so that wheels etc can fit.
    Last edited by Zdster; 13-07-2005 at 01:26 PM.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    rolling guards is when u literally roll the guards and give more space for the wheels to turn..
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

i had this problem with my civic and 17s......

this might be due to ur wheel offset making the wheel hang out afair bit.

i dont think a camber kit will help in ur situation since this will only deal with negative camber!

u could roll ur guards or change ur rims to some that are tucked in nicely under the guard!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda's
    are you sure its hitting the guards and not the inner wheel arch? ive got rolled gaurds,17's and had koni adjustables with king springs,did the same thing.The rear springs are too soft(body roll) im using Bilstein coilovers with swift 10kg rear springs now,it doesnt hit at all,very stiff ride tho.

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    hey there.

Depending how much you lowered your Civic... what you also need to look at is wheel offset and wheel width.

Hondas 'usually' like EF, EG, EK have a 4 stud wheel with 40-42 offset (distance between the inner edge of the wheel and the edge of the holding plate). If you use wheels with an offset smaller than that your wheel will stick out past the car, if you use an offset bigger than that - it will rub the inner guards.

Wheel size (width) comes equally as important in that. You don't want to get anything wider than a 7inch. so a 17x7, 16x7 once you hit 18s you're battling having a wheel thats too wide even at 7inches because of the height.

Lowering of the car is probably the biggest issue here, If you go too low even a 14inch wheel will rub.

So - in conclusion: LOWering and Wheelsize/offset all needs to be taken into consideration when choosing a wheel.

Tell us how big your wheels are, whats the offset, and how low you have taken your civic and we can work out what seems to be the issue... generally
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

sorry i meant to say inner wheel arch is rubbing..

silly question: whats the difference between the guards and the inner wheel arches?

u can cut the inner wheel arch out if u really want......or raise ur car

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by raff
    u can cut the inner wheel arch out if u really want......or raise ur car
    Hay Raff

What happens with water and rust and so on when you do that?

coze I'm going 17" soon and I like my cars very low

Oh I'm going 17x6.5 so maybe I'll get away with it
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    prior owner.
    i have the same problem and i am still trying to figure it out. I'm thinking of getting my guards rolled back to see if it helps. I think the guards is the hard plastic that sits above the wheel, under the arch. Correct me if i'm wrong. Apparantly it protects the car body from rocks or dirt that flicks up from the wheel.
    ..i want an s2.. *sigh*

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    Guard is refered to as the actual fender arch - guard rolling refers to rolling the edge of the fender guard.
    If you run your finger along on the inside of the actual fender arch you will notice that the metal is horizontal - when a wheel is fitted that is too big or car is lowered too much - the outside wall of the tyre will rub on that edge - causing damage to not only the tyre but also the wheel.

Inner wheel arch is the black painted stuff begind the wheel... sometimes wheels rub on that.
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A