Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Hmmm, well here are teh PDS of both the oils:
    5W30: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/AECC776DF8C45D2280257CE700137286/$File/CASTROL%20EDGE_5W-30%20A3B4_3374731_2014_01.pdf
    5W40: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/C6E03139D0B614D080257C2B001472C8/$File/CASTROL_EDGE_5W-40%20SN_3774718_2013_11.pdf

The 40 has higher KV and HTHS but that's to be expected. Both claim to be FULL synthetics but neither state what base stock they use. Would be interested if anyone could find out.

I also found this:
    http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang.../#.U-cYGGMivu4

Pretty interesting read, although a bit of advertising from Amsoil themselves of course. Interesting to find the favorites (RedLine, M1EP and Castrol Edge Titanium) either doing really well or really badly. That annual cost thing is a load of crap though.
    Last edited by ChaosMaster; 10-08-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    group 3 base oil.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Hmmm, I thought group 3 couldn't be considered Full Synthetic.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Castrol was in court and convinced the judge that they can call group 3 oils synthetic
    It was a big case about it
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    Castrol was in court and convinced the judge that they can call group 3 oils synthetic
    It was a big case about it
    So that's what it was. I read about that, but the version I heard was that Castrol was taken to court for advertising group 3 oils/semi synthetic oils as straight "synthetic". And because of that, other companies including Castrol started putting the more correct "semi-synthetic" on their lables.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    So that's what it was. I read about that, but the version I heard was that Castrol was taken to court for advertising group 3 oils/semi synthetic oils as straight "synthetic". And because of that, other companies including Castrol started putting the more correct "semi-synthetic" on their lables.
    Nope, group 3 base stock is considered full synthetic since the end of the Mobil vs Castrol law suit.

Bit of a different situation in the EU tho, it's been said only group 4 and 5 are considered synthetic in the EU, don't know how true it is.

Having said that, certain oil grades are usually outside of what group 3 base stock can reach, for eg: 0w40 would have to have a good dose of group 4 or 5 to reach that grade. Ditto to 0w50
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Its weird hey
    In EU group 4 & 5 are considered Full synth

But USA Group 3 is considered Full synth

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post

sounds like we need a group buy on amsoil

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    sounds like we need a group buy on amsoil
    Or just get Valvoline Synpower next time it's on sale.

Member Array
    Valvoline synpower is awesome, usually get it it on sale at supercheap

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord
    I will be using Penrite 5 X 40 full synth in my Accord Euro. cause i do longdistance driving & I think Penright is The Best. I will change every 7000 kys + Filter. I changed oil yesterday & auto same time & to day i went for a long drive now instead of 7.5 lts to 100 kys i get 6.5 per 100ks at least that's what the fule thingy in the spedeo says.. The car went so much smoother & had more power.
    Last edited by Lozer; 03-11-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozer View Post
    I will be using Penrite 5 X 40 full synth in my Accord Euro. cause i do longdistance driving & I think Penright is The Best. I will change every 7000 kys + Filter. I changed oil yesterday & auto same time & to day i went for a long drive now instead of 7.5 lts to 100 kys i get 6.5 per 100ks at least that's what the fule thingy in the spedeo says.. The car went so much smoother & had more power.
    If you are referring to penrite hpr5, it's a good value oil for what you pay.

Wouldn't say it's the best by any means, it is after all a group 3 base stock with a (over) reliance on zinc/zddp for protection and a complete lack of anti friction agents.

It's a good oil to prevent burn offs, I'm using hpr5 at the moment but I ended up adding liquimoly MOS to reduce friction.