Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    JAZZ
    I'm having a little problem with the legality of my wheels. The Rta says (in basic terms) you can go no more than 2-inches in height and width bigger or smaller than the stand wheel size your car same with.

Cops tell me its only one size and i can be defected.

I have 17in wheels with low profile tyres on my VTIR civic (which as most know came standard with 15in wheels)..

This is a royal pain in my ass cause i also have king springs (the real low ones) in my car so to the cops it looks like it would scrub - but i can safely fit 4-fat asses in my car (been done before) without anything happening (not even speeding over a hump, or turning a corner sharply)..

Does anyone have any news/imput into the wheel business??? My wheels are legal right?

depends on the profile of the tyres...

what are the tyres specs?
    B20VTEC - since 2002

they should be legal... the ride height is the thing which could be illegal... min 10cm off the ground at the lowest point of the car?...
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    JAZZ
    well i know my cars at least 10cm of the ground.. i hope just the cops are trying to tell me 17s are too big but they havent ever caused any problems..

Quote Originally Posted by kimbi
    well i know my cars at least 10cm of the ground.. i hope just the cops are trying to tell me 17s are too big but they havent ever caused any problems..
    hi kimbi...I believe technically the cop has a right to defect you. I have a copy of the relevant pages of the ADR somewhere at home..unfortunately I can't seem to find the relevant ADR on the rta as I think they've removed it. As far as I recall I believe the amount of give they give you for height is an extra 1.25 inches on stock...and width was different about 2.25 inches if I recall correctly.

If I find the information I'll post it.
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    4thGen Civic GL
    Spunkymonkey, is this it : (it's about 6 pages in pdf format)
    "Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres" Vehicle Information Standards 9 Rev 3. Oct 2003 ??

A section of it says,

Minor changes to wheels
    Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the
    vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
    The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter
    wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
    and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    i don't think i'll ever get over a 4G civic hatch
    Powered by HONDATA

Member Array
    Car:
    JAZZ
    DAMMIT..

Does anyone know the complete diameter for the wheels (rims and tyres) that came on a vtir? i need to see how much bigger these really are.. :?

Member Array
    Car:
    4thGen Civic GL
    hmm.....a Vti-R "Coupe's" standard fare are : 195/55/15 (correct me if i am wrong) is that the same for a EK Vti-R ?

With the Coupe's stock tyres. On 17" rims, using anything larger than 215/40/17 rubber would technically allow big brother to come down on you, according to the RTA guidelines that i posted above. (From my calculations with the help from : http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html)

But hey, i could be missing something here.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    depends on the profile of the tyres...

what are the tyres specs?
    i don't think i'll ever get over a 4G civic hatch