Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    FD2

RTA in a fine mess over new P-plate restrictions

Member Array
    Car:
    GD1, EK4R,
    From that artical there is alot of bashing towards the RTA which i guess is fair enough, with points such as
    - Family owned cars (commordores V8's turbos) families are forced to buy new cars.
    IMHO i reckon RTA should withdraw what they've done, actually spend time rewriting the whole banned cars list or adopt what Victoria has done with power to weight ratios.
    some very high powerd cars , S2000 and RX8 are not banned but some weak turbo cars are .

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Agreed, stick to the Power to Weight Ratio restriction..

But with any laws, there are bound to be loop holes
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    nissan for now =)
    they jsut want to make more money

exemption form. its all bs for government to make money. jsut my 2c

lol what a joke.. it does seem like they are gunna make some money here doesnt it... regardless ever since i saw the "high performace v6" statement a few months ago on the RTA website, ive brought up the point of the current commodores and falcons in discussions with mates. What defines a "high performance v6"?
    There is engines out there that produce speed (or acceleration) with a surprisingly low power rating... IMO they need to look at what exacly they are trying to prevent and work on resolving that problem, cuz at the end of the day anyone can go out and mod the car internally and how is the RTA gunna know about it?

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mojo02
    cuz at the end of the day anyone can go out and mod the car internally and how is the RTA gunna know about it?
    if there is any sort of internal mod you require an engineers certificate?

yes you require one.. but do u really think a defect station (or a policeman) is gunna pull the head off ur engine to prove uve got something in there?

Member Array
    Car:
    08' aluminium BMX
    theri actually enforcing it now?
    i left syd 2mnths ago now i got heapz ov turbo gear from america and i hav to wait 2 yrs b4 i can throw it in my crx?
    IM NOT HAPPY

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2
    to be honest with you, i think with this sort of thing it is going to be really hard to enforce

having said that though, i am not encouraging people to break the law - but you run with something illegal, you run the risk. and that's just with the police/RTA

same deal goes for not telling insurance about any 'mods' you might have. if anything happens, then insurance has every right not to pay out if it is not on the policy

(i'll get off my soap box now)

yep, power to weight is the best way to limit performance cars. A car does not have to have a turbo, supercharger or V8 to be a performance car. They should review each car entirely, not just the engine.
    TVIS - Toyota VTEC imitation system

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    I had a flick through Wheels or Motor magazine the other day and noticed a
    section on the new P-plater restrictions.

A Daihatsu Copen (3 cylinder turbo) with a quarter mile of 18.5+seconds is banned BUT a Lotus Exige is still fine for a P-plater... makes me wish i had $120 000....

lol, its all a little silly.
    imho, although certain cars can make mistakes easyer to occur (ie. faster acceleration) and could result in a larger crash. it is in most cases the person behind the wheel, not the type of car.

Just from memory, all the 4+ car accidents involving p platers or younger drivers have occured in very small low powered cars. Sure in recent months we have seen the skyline, but that only involved one car, it seems that it is the saftey rating of the car that will affect the severity of the accident.

I wanna see 5 hoons go steal a volvo and see the results, more then likly even if the car was one of the turbo volvo's there would only be minor cuts and graizes if involved in an accident. just my oppinion.