Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: B20b vs K20a

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    02 Civic sedan
    Not to throw a spanner in the works, I know this is about N/A and what not. But to back up other statements mad about good tuning (which I know we all know about)

"Not planning on sleeving the block. The stock sleeves are more than sufficient for our power goal of 600whp. Jeff has done close to 600whp on b-series with stock sleeves, so given that these sleeves are 30-40% thicker and the whole bottom of the block is girdled, it's much more tortionally stiff." The motor in question is a STOCK TSX longblock. K24(?)
    Taking from http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread...3&page=2&pp=20

Again, I know its turbo not N/A, therefore a little off topic... BUT ... it shows that with that much HP good tuning can eliminate a cost. ie. Sleeves...It also states that a K series has better sleeves, again, STILL going to make more horsepower.

Apologies if post is off topic or didnt make sense

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    Is there weaknesses in the b20 block (being a CRV motor ?)- which you must replace the crank etc to cope with higher RPM's ?
    So , realistically a b20b8 costs probably as much as a k20a2 to "get up to speed" ?
    yes, in reality you should be comparing a B18CR bored and sleeved out to 84mm to a K20A2

to be comparing an apple to another type of apple

not an apple to a banana...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    yes, in reality you should be comparing a B18CR bored and sleeved out to 84mm to a K20A2

to be comparing an apple to another type of apple

not an apple to a banana...
    OFcourse to that - what are the bare minimum issues to rectify on a b20a8 , in order to use for a NA/boosted setup ? And what kind of funds are we talking ?

bare minimum?

simple:

ARP rod bolts = $85
    B20VTEC - since 2002

in fact, that is about all i have done to mine, besides cutting the piston valve reliefs and using ARP head studs,

and it is making 120kW at the wheels...

but i am swapping to a VTEC sump, soon (before i circuit race it)

RPM is currently limited to 8100rpm (stock DC2VTiR ecu), but i would be comfoortable taking it to around 8400rpm... (i will be taking a DC2R ECU to the next dyno session, i hope)

(my last B20VTEC was limited to 8500rpm and was utterly thrashed, and apparently saw 9200rpm once)
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    You still going to do your site and get us some info Dave?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    You still going to do your site and get us some info Dave?
    yes, but i still have to track test the output before i do...

not point in describing/analysing how to build a B20VTEC unless it has been clearly proven. i know the last one i built kicked ass, didnt break etc, but may that was a fluke?

and i cant really catagorically state "this + this = 120kW" if it is only going to break after a few laps at the track...

so i just gotta install the fuel pump, gauges and baffled sump and it will be ready for the track...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    ED6 EK4 R56 AP1
    in fact, that is about all i have done to mine, besides cutting the piston valve reliefs and using ARP head studs,

and it is making 120kW at the wheels...

but i am swapping to a VTEC sump, soon (before i circuit race it)

RPM is currently limited to 8100rpm (stock DC2VTiR ecu), but i would be comfoortable taking it to around 8400rpm... (i will be taking a DC2R ECU to the next dyno session, i hope)

(my last B20VTEC was limited to 8500rpm and was utterly thrashed, and apparently saw 9200rpm once)
    utterly thrashed? 9200rpm once? what do u mean?

Quote Originally Posted by ATSEK4
    utterly thrashed? 9200rpm once? what do u mean?
    Thrashed: beaten, whiped, battered, lashed, floged, flayed, defeated, hammered, trounced, slaughtered etc

after i sold it to someone, they 'thrashed' the engine, advising me of various 'kills' that had made with the engine.

from this i deduced that it had taken a lot of punishment, and was not surprised when the owner told me the VAFC had shown a max rpm of 9200 one night... (not sure why, as the rpm limiter was supposed to be 8500rpm, maybe was a mis-shift?)
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    ED6 EK4 R56 AP1
    Thrashed: beaten, whiped, battered, lashed, floged, flayed, defeated, hammered, trounced, slaughtered etc

after i sold it to someone, they 'thrashed' the engine, advising me of various 'kills' that had made with the engine.

from this i deduced that it had taken a lot of punishment, and was not surprised when the owner told me the VAFC had shown a max rpm of 9200 one night... (not sure why, as the rpm limiter was supposed to be 8500rpm, maybe was a mis-shift?)
    No suprise, my rsm always shows 9400, and my limiter with power fc is only 9100.. and my fuel didn't cut off yet. I dun think that 9200 is accurate.

anyway the b20b can rev up to 8500 without any problem?