Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5th gear crunch/grind - 94 lude Vti-r

sup guys,
    my girl just got a lude and its quite nice, however ive picked out some problems.

When you shift into 5th gear, you feel and hear the gear lever crunch/grind a little (only for 5th gear, all others are fine as well as reverse). Now this only happens when you're travelling over 60km/h (it rarely or hardly occurs when going 60km/h or less). Its not really a bad grind/crunch, more like that the gear stick vibrates a little and feels a bit funny to put it.

In stand still and in idle there is no crunch/grinding either.

She got it checked out by her mechanic and he says he will have to take out the gearbox and check it out - may be the syncromesh or somewhat.

What do you guys think? I have read elsewhere that its a common problem that many ludes have had, but whats the solution?

The mechanic estimates $1500-$2500 to replace it (or fix it - cant remember what he said).

Another problem i noticed is that the tachometer plays around a little (bounces around say from 2krpm to 3krpm and back again), but it looks merely a problem with the tacho. There is no change in the 'feel' of the car (by that i mean it doesnt feel like the rpms have changed) and the car sounds normal when it occurs. What you reckon about this?

thanks guys, thats all for now!
    Last edited by zoopsta; 23-07-2005 at 03:35 PM.

selection problems are usually the hubs or the shift forks.

the former will lock you out of a gear. the latter will have you popping out of gears when you put load on.

hubs have tapered teeth on them that interlock with the synchro and the gear itself. if these teeth are bashed flat by crunching or harsh shifting eventually the two halves won't be able to find each other's slots and come into mesh,and then you'll have trouble selecting that gear.

the shift forks generally wear out when people leave their hand sitting on the shifter all the time,putting a load on something they shouldn't be.
    this wears away the side of a finger that moves the hub in and out of position,which will then make it sloppy. you'll find you have to throw the shifter a little further to engage the gear,and the gear will pop out under heavy loads..
    hope dat give u some idea,

if you're worried about it,pull the box out and replace the 5th gear hub and synchro ring.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Type S
    its a common with lude
    come to preludeaustralia.com, you find alot of information about it
    btw where are you located.. if you are in NSW get hannys to check it out for you, he'll charge you way less than $1500

tried some new gearbox fluid first??

Yeah im thinking of doing that first before anything else

do you have to use honda brand?

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Type S
    not really, but it is best to use geniun honda stuff

Member Array
    Car:
    94 accord turbo
    i had the same problem with going to fith gear but since i put a honda gearbox fkuid its all good

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    mine does it too sometimes, especially if the engine/oil is cold. i have learn to double clutch it into 5th and the problem is gone.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda's
    Quote Originally Posted by h22a accord
    mine does it too sometimes, especially if the engine/oil is cold. i have learn to double clutch it into 5th and the problem is gone.
    same as what i do.i also find if i shift it in slow its ok too.Try changing your gear oil first,helped mine alot.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Is 5th gear a common problem for ludes? In most cars, its the lower gears that have problems first.

Anyways, try some new oil and have a read of this.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Thanks for you input guys,
    Ill do it this weekend when i have sometime and post up my results.

Just a question: whats the difference between gearbox oil and transmission fluid?