Threaded View

5th gear crunch/grind - 94 lude Vti-r

sup guys,
    my girl just got a lude and its quite nice, however ive picked out some problems.

When you shift into 5th gear, you feel and hear the gear lever crunch/grind a little (only for 5th gear, all others are fine as well as reverse). Now this only happens when you're travelling over 60km/h (it rarely or hardly occurs when going 60km/h or less). Its not really a bad grind/crunch, more like that the gear stick vibrates a little and feels a bit funny to put it.

In stand still and in idle there is no crunch/grinding either.

She got it checked out by her mechanic and he says he will have to take out the gearbox and check it out - may be the syncromesh or somewhat.

What do you guys think? I have read elsewhere that its a common problem that many ludes have had, but whats the solution?

The mechanic estimates $1500-$2500 to replace it (or fix it - cant remember what he said).

Another problem i noticed is that the tachometer plays around a little (bounces around say from 2krpm to 3krpm and back again), but it looks merely a problem with the tacho. There is no change in the 'feel' of the car (by that i mean it doesnt feel like the rpms have changed) and the car sounds normal when it occurs. What you reckon about this?

thanks guys, thats all for now!
    Last edited by zoopsta; 23-07-2005 at 03:35 PM.