Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED6 EK4 R56 AP1

Close Ratio gear box?

hi guys, i am just wondering if anyone can explain "Close Ratio gear" ?

I heard a lot of people said DC2R and EK9 gear box has CLose Ratio Gear?

as I am getting a EK9 gear box, i would like to find out if thatz true. The sales on the ATS website told me that the gear ratio of each gear got nth to do with the word "close ratio" but i really have no idea.

anyway comparing EK4 and Ek9 box .. only LSD different? what about close ratio? anyone can give me a correct answer with something to support? Thx

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    I always thought that it had to do with the gear ratios. Like when I had my KAAZ 3rd-5th gears, when I changed gear the revs only dropped about 1000rpm. Hence why I thought that meant close ratio.

So yeah, I would like to know the actual technical reason a gearbox is close ratio too

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Close ratio reffers to the gearing between each of the gears. The closer the ratios for each gear are to the next gear, the lower the revs drop when you change up a gear. Consequently allowing you to stay in your peak power band (at the sacrifice of more gear changes).
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    going merry
    Same thing my friends told me, they told me to change to the civic gearbox as the gear ratio is closer than the integras. Maybe its more to do than just the actual gearbox itself but the part that controls the gear ratio is inside the gearbox?

Only thing I know (which i learnt from gran turismo hehe) is closer the gears the faster the car accelerates but in turn you get lower top end. Where the part which controls this is situated I wouldnt have a clue.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by ATSEK4
    The sales on the ATS website told me that the gear ratio of each gear got nth to do with the word "close ratio" but i really have no idea.
    ats has taller 1st (like the toda 1st) second is the same (toda is longer) 3rd is shorter, 4th is a lot shorter, 5th is extremely short with a top speed of roughly 180kmh

from my understanding, close ratio is pretty much when the gear ratios are close to each other. in the scheme of things Honda probably has a lot closer ratios than many other car manufactures, eg Holden, ford.

but the ats kit makes the stock ratios look far from close.

gear ratios are just a matter how many times the engine has to spin compared to how many times the wheels spin

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdc2
    gear ratios are just a matter how many times the engine has to spin compared to how many times the wheels spin
    I'd take it a step further and say that the correct gear ratio choice is essential for a DOHC VTEC Honda in order to keep it in its powerband.

Member Array
    Car:
    going merry
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    I'd take it a step further and say that the correct gear ratio choice is essential for a DOHC VTEC Honda in order to keep it in its powerband.
    So is it best advised to stick with the stock gearbox for each car? Would a lighter fly wheel be a better choice to make the car rev faster?

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zorrt
    So is it best advised to stick with the stock gearbox for each car? Would a lighter fly wheel be a better choice to make the car rev faster?
    Not necessarily. Honda did a good job of it.....but quality aftermarket units can improve on it

And yes, a lightened flywheel will help your car rev faster.

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    This is true, and especially show up on track. We dont have the power of the turbo's to just put our foot down and go. So we need to be in the right gear and at the right revs all the time.

Also there is no 1 gearset that is the best at everything. You need to match it to where you will be driving the most.

No good having a really close set on a track that you need top speed, coz you will changing gears all the time, and you will end up running out of top speed.

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    Quote Originally Posted by zorrt
    Depending on what your doing.....

But if you look at most of the aftermarket kits, they decrease the ratio of the first two gears allowing you to stay longer in the gears, then the rest they increase so you can get through them quicker.

Light weight flywheel for sure Or to chuck in some more confusion perhaps the easier and cheaper option in your gearbox , is to replace the final drive

Still no cheap job either tho - from some website browsing you are looking at about $1k+ not including installation.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Final drive won't affect how close the gear ratios are in respect to one another.