Newcomer Array

valve clearance check?

Hey guys when i start my car up from cold it makes tapping noises which are easily heard, they sound more promenant inside the car for some reason. anyway it sounds to me like the valve clearances might be off, is this what causes the tapping sounds, my car is a 96 civic with a d16y4 engine.

the tapping noises seam to happen around 1000-2000 rpm range mainly which is where my car idles when cold, and it sounds to be coming from the head. the tapping noises are not as loud when the engine is warm. the car has 160,000kms on it and i dont know if valve clearances have ever been adjusted.

my honda mechanic told me they didnt need checking and the tapping rattling noises were because the pistons dont fit well inside the engine properly until the engine is warm causing these noises but i've never heard engines make these noises unless something is wrong.

is there anything else that might need attention or is valve clearance the most likely cause?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    this is called pinging.. it isnt good for your car, it basically is your car misfiring and a number of things can cause this, checking your valve clearances isnt the hardist task, there is a D.I.Y Write-up on this forum, search for it, i think its called "DIY Tappit Clearances" and its by ECU-MAN, good write-up

does your car idle roughly and/or struggle to keep running unless u keep on revving it?
    also, does it ping (tapping noise) when your idling or only when your driving?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    ummm... pinging is not a result of your valve clearances being out. thats caused by ignition timing being out or the cylinders running too lean, but thats another topic.

i'm guessing it is your clearances. its not bad for the engine just noisy. what is bad is if there is no noise from the valves at all indicating they are remaining open when they should be closed. this is caused by the clearance being too small(non existant).
    getting the clearances done is a cheap job and should take less than an hour.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    your honda dealer is right though about the piston in the bore with a cold engine , all you 5gen Accord F22BX owners out there would agree but sound like your tappets need to be set.
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 26-07-2005 at 08:46 PM.

Newcomer Array
    i might just try to check them out myself without changing anything to see. i dont think it's pinging it only really does it at idle and mainly when cold.

do all honda engines make this sound or only when they get high kms on them because newer cars dont make this noise?
    just one question if i take the valve cover off what needs to be done when putting it back on concerning gaskets and making sure of a good seal?

does anyone know the valve specs for a d16y4 engine?
    Last edited by Fredo; 26-07-2005 at 09:45 PM.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    use ultra grey on the corners of the arches at the ends, jsut a little dab.

cold ( and I mean stone cold )
    inlet 0.18 - 0.22mm
    exhuast 0.23 - 0.27mm
    at valve

Member Array
    Car:
    Poo-goat 307
    i think the original term is pinking, not pinging.

http://www.bp.com.au/fuelnews/PET0706.pdf#search='engine%20pinking'

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ACTI0NMAN-1
    i think the original term is pinking, not pinging.

http://www.bp.com.au/fuelnews/PET0706.pdf#search='engine%20pinking'
    True that!

I agree...sounds like your tappets
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    tappets..?
    PLZ dun mind im a noob on it..!
    can anyone explain to me?
    is it bad?expansive to fix?
    who can do it in MEL?Plz pm who can do it!
    Cos i think i got the same problem

Cheers