Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[EURO] reversing the direction of the sportshift?

so i finally hit 1000km and decided to test out the vtec a little before i take it in for the first service and used the sportshift

its not very responsive, but none of them really are, at 1 sec response time its not so bad but what bugged me was the direction it is set.

its forward for up gear and back for down gear.... thats the opposite of the proper way

ford/mazda/bmw and initial D arcade machines have it the right way i think... that is, back for up gear and forward for down gear... this is the way that inertia dictates.

so is there any way (computer program hopefully) that i can reverse the gearshift direction so that it is not so annoying?

i nearly screwed up my car like that, was in 2nd at 6000rpm and wanted to shift to 3rd when i almost pull back (instinctively) i would've redlined in first at 100km/hr

Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda
    too much initial D for u mate....get back to reality u are not a tofu delivery boy !

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If you were at 2nd in 6000rpm, the computer would not have let you get into 1st gear.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

haha, tofu boy or not, forward for up gear is just wrong.

and thats good, if the computer has a safeguard =] but im not about to test it, my friend blew up his FTO gearbox by shifting one too many times and going to 1st at 90km/hr

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    It's arranged in such a way so that it's easier to remember, Forward = Up, Backward = Down...

It's the same with many cars nowadays...

And if I remember, it can be done, it was done to a Magna...
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Subaru Liberty GT-B
    It's different in a Mercedes Benz C200 Kompressor (mum's car im driving while mines being fixed).

It's even worse. When in 'Drive' you tap it left to shift down back to first and then tap right to shift up the gears and back to Drive.

The good thing is that you can see on the dash what gear your in, but c'mon.. like i'm going to remember to tap it left/right/up/down and also have to keep checking the dash to double check if i changed gears or not.

If u want to change gears - get a manual

it's a funky feature that only lasts for a few minutes. Gimmicks are us

Also have to agree with EuroAccord13, it's easier to remember for most people. Unfortunately i work in a reversed frame of mind, pilot way, even for computer games i have it reversed. The whole push up to go up and push down to go down throws me off for some things.
    MY07 Subaru Liberty GT 2.5T B.Spec 6SPD MT | Satin White Pearl
    MY04 Honda Accord Euro Luxury 6SPD MT | Arctic Blue
    MY00 Chrysler Neon LE AT | Red Salsa

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The reason I think that usually forward is down is for very torquey cars, it's easier to pull back on the stick than to push when shifting up during hard acceleration,

But the right way is forward for downshift and back for upshift.

Was the FTO the INVECS auto tranny or manual? I thought the tiptronic in that would let you bounce against the limiter, but not let you downshift if it meant overrevving.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1, CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Entity
    its forward for up gear and back for down gear.... thats the opposite of the proper way

ford/mazda/bmw and initial D arcade machines have it the right way i think... that is, back for up gear and forward for down gear... this is the way that inertia dictates.
    in superGT(JGTC) or BTCC, their gear is forward for up gear and back for down gear... u think this is not the proper way???

Quote Originally Posted by learner
    in superGT(JGTC) or BTCC, their gear is forward for up gear and back for down gear... u think this is not the proper way???

No, JGTC /BTCC forward is down change, backward is up change.
    BNR34 N1 spec
    QR Sprint - 57.79
    QR Clubman - 60.74
    QR National - 1:22.71

Quote Originally Posted by VirIIx

If u want to change gears - get a manual

it's a funky feature that only lasts for a few minutes. Gimmicks are us
    Agreed.

The last model prelude was notorious for the tiptronics crapping themselves if they were used too much and the cost of a replacement auto transmission brought a few owners I knew to tears.

Its a novelty and if you want to drive like that, better off getting a manual or probably a different car.

Good luck though in working it out. (and I do agree, its the wrong way around)

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1, CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by baboo
    No, JGTC /BTCC forward is down change, backward is up change.
    sorry about that.... i should say in superGT(JGTC) or BTCC, their gear is forward for down change (4->3->2->1) and back for up gear (1->2->3->4->)...
    same as our euro
    Last edited by learner; 28-07-2005 at 10:56 AM.

I still love HONDA! Array
    Car:
    Black8
    For me, up should be downward, because it travels along with the motion of the car (if you get what I mean). Ford gets it right, most other cars don't .
    euro77 by Jimmy (toE)