Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: intercooler

intercooler

i was wondering where is a reputable place to get a cooler for a civic
    im in melb btw
    i asked avo and they charged 1.3k for it with all piping

i just get an idea of where else to shop...

cheers

Moderator - here to help Array
    are you looking for an i/c kit for the civic?
    or just the i/c? if so go to an import shop and buy a new (aftermarket) or used (factory) i/c and get the piping done at an exhaust shop...
    Want to improve OH's website? Make a thread in the site discussion forum.

Know of a nice ride and think it should be featured? Send me a PM.

Hand out PQ points where deserved. Info HERE.

Provide feedback when buying/selling from OH members. Info HERE.

Subscribe to OH and benefit. Info HERE.

OzHonda Terms and Conditions HERE.

dont mind a i/c kit for a civic but if i can get a fairly good i/c then ill just get the piping fabricated

just need to know where to shop

you can get used i/c off imports for a good price. just good to your local import wrecker and look for the mitsu galant vr4 turbo i/c or nissan pulsar gtir i/c
    they are pretty affordable for around $250+.
    just acid wash/dip them before putting it in your car to flush out any impurities.

otherwise go to autobarn or something.. i think they have cheap hybrid performance i/c

Member Array
    Car:
    n13 pulsar
    Quote Originally Posted by joyride
    nissan pulsar gtir i/c
    if you are going for something second hand you wont want to do any work to it. the GTi-R cooler is rated to about 350hp but it is a top mounted application and will require having the end tanks remade to suit a fmic application.
    if you are going for a second hand cooler search for a tube and fin core rather than bar and plate. even if the tube and fin is half the size of a bar and plate its twice as effective and cools alot better so i would recommend trying your best to find something suitable in one of those.

should i steer away from ppl that sell those "universal i/c"?

Member Array
    Car:
    R34
    Quote Originally Posted by alta'd n13
    if you are going for a second hand cooler search for a tube and fin core rather than bar and plate. even if the tube and fin is half the size of a bar and plate its twice as effective and cools alot better so i would recommend trying your best to find something suitable in one of those.
    WTF??

for the same size
    tube & fin - air flow quicker and less pressure drop
    provide better throttle response

bar & plate - it concentrate on cooling ability
    cool better than same size tube & fin but not flow as good (less response)

most jap cooler is tube & fin
    but most big ass cooler are still bar & plate
    as those car have massive amount of air flow (big HP, big boost) and
    cooling is the first Priority

there are a lot of cheap cooler around
    from memory hybrid copy 600x300x76 is about $200-300 brand new?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra VTIR
    Log onto PWR's webpage www.pwr.com.au, they are now doing a universal fit coolers and are about the $430 mark for a core thats 400x300x75. They use quality australian made K&J tube and fin cores which are designed to cool and flow really well (equivelent sized custom coolers from PWR using the same core flowed something like 900cfm).They high quality end tanks which come polished, welds are quality, not like the crap that you see on these chinese coolers and not to mention they also spray pwr on the front of it for that fully sik look. It makes a lot of sense to pay that extra couple of hundred dollars for a quality item that will flow the hp. You still got the cost of mounting it and getting pipe work done for it, so that also adds up, but you still should get out of it for less than $1300. If you want to research a little more about the chinese cooler cores and quality cores just log onto www.are.com.au there is a lot of techincal info on there which should help you make a informed choice/

thanks a lot guys

too bad....if you were in adelaide i'd get you one for just $1000

unless u come down to melb
    hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by alta'd n13
    if you are going for something second hand you wont want to do any work to it. the GTi-R cooler is rated to about 350hp but it is a top mounted application and will require having the end tanks remade to suit a fmic application.
    i have a gtir i/c on my sprinter frount mounted. any competent (sp??) workshop should have no trouble changing the end tanks on it. and plus tube and fin is a bit of overkill for a civic. bar and plate is sufficient unless he is chasing massive hp.

anyway, tekling, if u want some bling to your i/c get the hybrid ones.. they still do the job although there are far better ones out there.