Thread: diy intake

diy intake

hey,
    i'm just after some info from those who have modded their stock air boxes and stock intakes from their dc2 dc2r or dc4's.

Basically, what did you do?

i'm thinking of getting a mandrel bent pipe from the box to the intake valve, putting in a pod filter, then modifing the air box cover so it fits, and then still unsure of the suckng part of the intake, which goes from the box to under the car.

just after some advice, maybe some tips, perhaps some info on the best set up.

thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    murcielago
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24652

hope this might help! if not ..theres more DIY right up an information in the Articles/reviews forum
    EG5 Powered by DR HONDA
    Tune By: Scott @ Insight Motorsport

QSR Customs

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    Well im using dc2r intake box etc.

Just put K n N pod filter designed for dc2 box.

And get some PVC/Silicon piping from bumper and directly into teh box from the front of bumper area for CAI.

Cheapest and least defectable way.

dont; like that piping (it has really bad air flow properties), and those panal filter replacemnts have much worse flow then the pod style. thanks though chi.

was thinking of using maybe stainless steel piping and go from just above the guard facing backwards up to the box, to no only prevent water getting in, but also dirty air, bugs and other unwanted things gettng in the air box.

btw whats the difference between dc2r intake box and the old vtir one on dc2?
    Last edited by kousoku; 07-08-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kousoku
    dont; like that piping (it has really bad air flow properties), and those panal filter replacemnts have much worse flow then the pod style. thanks though chi.

was thinking of using maybe stainless steel piping and go from just above the guard facing backwards up to the box, to no only prevent water getting in, but also dirty air, bugs and other unwanted things gettng in the air box.

btw whats the difference between dc2r intake box and the old vtir one on dc2?
    if the piping is large enough ( say 3 inces or so) the rough surface shouldnt interfere with the airflow of the intake. IF anything , the turbulence at the extreme edge is more beneficial than a totally smooth intake pipe.

Id get a large intake horn or pipe which narrows down to say a 2.5 inch intake into the airbox itself. And , if paranoid , drill a ring of holes around the upper part of the intake ( just before the mouth of the airbox) to give a DIY air-bypass JUST incase you dive into a puddle or lake.

AFAIK itr airbox + dc2/dc4 are exactly the same ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    if the piping is large enough ( say 3 inces or so) the rough surface shouldnt interfere with the airflow of the intake. IF anything , the turbulence at the extreme edge is more beneficial than a totally smooth intake pipe.

Id get a large intake horn or pipe which narrows down to say a 2.5 inch intake into the airbox itself. And , if paranoid , drill a ring of holes around the upper part of the intake ( just before the mouth of the airbox) to give a DIY air-bypass JUST incase you dive into a puddle or lake.

AFAIK itr airbox + dc2/dc4 are exactly the same ?!?

thanks mate,
    clears up quite a bit.

i guess the only way you could get the smooth edge on the intake to be more efficient would be to do some fluid dynamics, but i can' see myself doing that so yea =P

what you think about pvc piping rather then the black ridge one?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    98' dc2
    diy home made black ridged piping is the way to go! poor mans intake
    does the job on my car

alright just an update, i ended up modifying my stock set up today and was very impressed with the results to say the least.

i was first a little bit skeptical about doing a mix and match job but it turned out great because pretty much everything fitted perfectly with only minor modifications.

so what my set up consits of now is,

stock rubber tube from the intake valve to the air box. (this stock rubber tube i beleive is the best thing to use, as it: does not absorb heat, so it stays cold. It is firm enough to not act like a straw which resrtics air flow when sucking, but yet is soft enough to allow for normal engine shake hence less pressure on the engine bay.

then in the stock air box i put in a pod filter which i was very happy to find fitter perfectly and has an airtigh seal with the rubber tube leading to the valve.

then i modified the black pipe which goes to the muffler, by means of sawing it off the white muffler and just letting it go from the air box to undernearth the mud guard where it sucks up old air.

Now for the results, i am able to say that i have felt gains, both in better response and in faster acceleration . I used to have a proper cai intake and am please to say that i am much more impressed with the performance of this diy cai. What is most supprising is that although there is much less noise (almost stock sounding) i still noticed improved gains, where as when i got the cai i think i was taken back by the noise and didin't accuratly feel any gains.

so to put it simply i highly recommend this set up,

diy > cai > stock

Member Array
    Car:
    boosted dc2...
    just use that drainage piping... used it before about 3inces in diameter and it was all good, had that going to a DIY cold air box which my pod sat in.... the cold air box is as easy as cutting some sheet metal to fit touchin it with the weilder or bending it up and insulating it....
    Boosted Integra underway!

Member Array
    Car:
    boosted dc2...
    NOTE: Use some stiff cardboard to make a template for the cold air box, to get the angles right and shape and all that then just trace it to the sheet metal
    Boosted Integra underway!