Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q: Cam Gears...

Banned Array
    Just have a stupid question about cam gears, what do they do? if its worth doing with other mods? If it is all good then what you guys think about Spoon cam gears for a DC2 ITR?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Cam gears enable you to adjust your cam timing. This changes the opening, closing and overlap between the intake and exhaust valves(?) I think its best done with i/h/e ....and can be done with or without aftermarket cams.

I dont think there is any diff between cam gears, as long as they have easily distinguishable markings for advancing/retarding the timing, and have enuf good bolts to hold it in place.

...heard bad things about AEM ones.....good things about TODA....but thats all i know.

cheers

Banned Array
    I dont know what i/h/e mean sorry If my internals are stock but I have headers, cat, exhaust, ecu and intake would it be worth putting in cam gears and tuning them? will it like be bad for the engine or anything if put cam gears in and put in properly?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    i/h/e = intake/header/exhaust

from what iv heard, i think you'd get decent gains with some tuned cam gears....make sure you go to someone who has a good name tuning hondas. No, it wont hurt your engine.

are cam gears easy to install at home?? can i just leave them on some kind of 'default' setting until i get them tuned?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Ummm...i dont think they would be that hard....when im at home later tonight ill see if i can find a how-to. You'd have to take off the cam cover and timing belt....so if your comfortable doing that then you should be alright.

PS- i forgot to mention that cam gears are MUCH more effective on DOHC cars than SOHC cars, because on SOHCs, the intake and exhaust cant be tuned seperately.

Banned Array
    Is it possible to leave the cam cover on if you get a set of cam gears? or are they too big?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    spoon cam gears = toda
    the question is how much you're paying for them

and adjustable cam gears = stokc cam gear size
    leave the cam cover on, don't cut it, makes it more dangerous

UR2L8, no point going cam gears if u dont have cams man. They adjust the timing of the cams so it can best control hi lift cams etc. For factory cams, u wont gain much, ur better of to do some other mods man, get after market cams itself is better.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by UR2L8
    Is it possible to leave the cam cover on if you get a set of cam gears? or are they too big?
    I meant you have to take the cam cover off to change them...as tanghy said, they are the same diameter as stock.

Quote Originally Posted by tanghy
    don't cut it, makes it more dangerous
    why is it dangerous?? :?

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    you run the risk of your belt jumping off your gears and ****ing everything up

you can phase your factory cams for more power, htere is an advantage there, but will take dyno timne

and you need a reprogrammable ECU, not a spoon ecu or mugne ecu to make everything work

Member Array
    Car:
    E EG-6
    dangerous....coz 1 small rock goes in there and thats it....all over