Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R

High Comp Forged Pistons for FI

Hey guys,

I was wondering that if forged Hi-comp pistons are strong enough for FI applications, I am asking this because in most cases Hi-comp pistons are used for NA and i was thinking maybe they might not be made as strong because of this. Would regular forged hi comp pistons be good enough or would some sort of customs have to be made?

Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    hi comp meaning 12.5:1 (or there abouts)??

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    hi comp being higher than a forged turbo piston CR would be, maybe 10.5:1 and higher probably.

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    Your question is way to ambiguous, what brand piston, what size, what compression. Every piston is designed differently some pistons have more “meat” on the crown of the piston, some pistons are designed to be ultra light thus have minimal meat, less material generally = a weaker pistons although in most cases I can not see this being a problem. Its all about using the correct parts, the correct quality.

Regards James

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    there are some high comp forged pistons that are meant for turbo applications... most aren't though. best bet is to talk to the seller/manufacturer

Member Array
    Car:
    n13 pulsar
    not the best idea to be running high comp with a turbo set up no matter whether the pistons are forged or not unless you are going to run very low boost for a bit of extra torque.

the two methods of boost are basically high comp/low boost or low comp/high boost. basically this will put boost into two categories. even if the pistons are forged the remainder of the engine will more than likely give way on a high compression load + boost.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    this is ozhonda not pulsar.org alatd we run highcomp everything, cause our engines are engineered well.. lol..

your best bet when looking at a high-comp setup is either going custom, or getting pistons suited for a different engine and running them. all b18's and b16's have different squench area'sclearences, and differnt combinations will come to different static cr's
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by alta'd n13
    not the best idea to be running high comp with a turbo set up no matter whether the pistons are forged or not unless you are going to run very low boost for a bit of extra torque.
    Well that’s just a lie

ignore that; ) go high comp hi boost we don't live in the 1950's !

Regards James

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    so much misinformation on the board these days

high comp + boost for the win!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    where would be a good place to enquire about getting hi comp pistons for a FI setup? Also because of the high static compression ratio, would i have to run special fuel so i dont get detonation?

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGANG
    where would be a good place to enquire about getting hi comp pistons for a FI setup? Also because of the high static compression ratio, would i have to run special fuel so i dont get detonation?
    No just special tuning by a special expert using a special ECU

Only reason to run special fuel would be to run 30 or 40psi of boost on 12.5:1 and up compression engines but I don't think anyone is in that boat here... apart from me

Regards James

Member Array
    Car:
    n13 pulsar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weq
    this is ozhonda not pulsar.org alatd we run highcomp everything, cause our engines are engineered well.. lol..

your best bet when looking at a high-comp setup is either going custom, or getting pistons suited for a different engine and running them. all b18's and b16's have different squench area'sclearences, and differnt combinations will come to different static cr's

i realise that but then again you blew out your bottom end by adding boost did u not?
    im speaking as to safe level of boost with high comp pistons to make a reliable every day compromise.
    i realise that high comp is a way of life on this forum but as a general guide as ive said so many times before, the general guide is for every 4 pound of boost you add one point of compression so an engine running 12.5:1 compression before boost add 8psi and you are looking at somewhere around the figure of 14.5:1 compression the more boost you run the higher the compression goes obviously.
    yes your levels of tourque will be large on high comp high boost but risk factor is also high to drive it like that on a daily basis.