Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    I have a 93 CRX/del sol (B16A) DOHC VTEC and notice that when VTEC engages it doesn't scream as hard as the CIVIC VTIR (B16A engine as well)..

My brothers mate is a mechanic and took my car for a spin, he said vtec is not poping as hard as it should, and that I needed to change something to do so... My current mods are - extractors, exhaust 2" piping, HKS air filter and Ceramic coated air intake pipe, Power chip gold. I don't know what to change, any suggestions or has anyone had the same problem?

Also I wanted to get 2.25 inch cat back piping but they said that I would lose power, but I've seen & read about alot of crx, civics and integras with 2.25 & 2.5" piping.. What would you guys recommend?

put ur stock air box back on, and reset ur ECU
    i need vtak!!

Newcomer Array
    so do I just take of the connections to the battery for 10 mins?
    after 10 mins do I just reconnect everything and start the car? Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    VTEC is engaged through several factors:
    1. Engine oil level should be right (4-5 quarts)
    2. Engine temperature should be normal (temp gauge at mid level)
    3. Check your wiring loom and make sure that VTEC solenoid is working correctly

strat by checking these three things; dont let anyone tell you its your mods 'cose thats bullshit VTEC is an inbuilt mechanism which is not affecte by bolt ons like headers and intake good luck

Newcomer Array
    Thanks Fellaz I'll give it a try, what is the VTEC solenoid? may be thats the problem...

Just wondering what piping you guys would recomend?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    VTEC solenoid is just a electrical cable between the ECU and engine,,,check the connections
    And another word of advice: go to repco or bursons and buy yourself a chiltons manual for your car for 30 odd dollars...best purchase for your car you'll ever make it'll show you how to actually find it and connect/disconnect
    btw the only way you can truly diagnose whether vetc is working or not is on a dyno,,,different VTEC engines have different switch points so dont pay too much attention to someone who just says they cant hear it/feel it,,,gl

Newcomer Array
    Thanks. I actually just found out what it was. Had a look in google, this guy attached an LED to the Vtec solenoid wire and put it on his dash so when vtec engages the led lights up as well.. looked pretty good, might try it.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    An 2" exhaust is fine or u'll lose more low end torque if u go ne bigger.
    TEAMDaiGah
    REDSUN Performance: 98970889

Originally posted by Civic Si:
    An 2" exhaust is fine or u'll lose more low end torque if u go ne bigger.
    The bigger the exhaust the more top end you will get. This means that you will lose bottom-mid power in order to get that top end. For N/A usually 2.25" is best as you will get best of both worlds. A 2.5" exhaust will be louder and will give you more top end but you will loose responsivenes down bottom. Anything bigger than that is useless and you will actually loose heaps of power. VTEC's need the right back-pressure, if the exhaust isn't setup correctly, even a 2" system, you will be loosing power.

Quote Originally Posted by Fry
    I have a 93 CRX/del sol (B16A) DOHC VTEC and notice that when VTEC engages it doesn't scream as hard as the CIVIC VTIR (B16A engine as well)..

My brothers mate is a mechanic and took my car for a spin, he said vtec is not poping as hard as it should, and that I needed to change something to do so... My current mods are - extractors, exhaust 2" piping, HKS air filter and Ceramic coated air intake pipe, Power chip gold. I don't know what to change, any suggestions or has anyone had the same problem?

Also I wanted to get 2.25 inch cat back piping but they said that I would lose power, but I've seen & read about alot of crx, civics and integras with 2.25 & 2.5" piping.. What would you guys recommend?

ur mechanic friend of yours......what car is he using to make comparisons....?? from the mods u have mentioned, u should be going forwards in performance, instead of backwards. i hope he isnt' using something like an ITR as a reference....

return it to standard....give it a full service...then dyno it...

get a K&N drop in filter, 2 1/4" exhaust (cat back), reset the ecu then dyno again..

vtec hondas come perfect from the factory FYI...so most backyard hack mods will result in a loss of power..

cheers

sam

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    what extractors are you rrunning...dont waste your money with cheap aussie headers..Just save up and get something decent from Japan or the US. Theres quite a few second hand jap spec headers going around for reasonable prices..