Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    my car uses oil. what could it be? i had i service done on the car two months ago and i checkd to oil and it was slowly going down.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Sump leak

dont thinks its a sump leak cos that mean my driveway would be covered in oil. my mate said when i deck the car black smoke comes out when im changing gears.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    head gasket??

Here is your problem - when you drive a car with the k's rolled back...you dont actually know that its becoz ur car has about 302,000km's . . . when it only reads 24,000.

Oh , BTW - if ur car is burning oil , then it would blow out WHITE smoke.
    Blowing out black/dark smoke is normal under heavy load, as the engine runs richer up high and so pollutes abit more.
    Oil could be leaking into somewhere...into other parts of your car - get a physical person to look at ur car ( IE a mechanic)

actually... i believe white smoke is more indicative of there being water in the combustion chamber. like what a busted head gasket would do

burning oil tends to be smelly blue smoke.

how many k's on the car?

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Quote Originally Posted by ginganggooly
    actually... i believe white smoke is more indicative of there being water in the combustion chamber. like what a busted head gasket would do
    Thats the one - I had the same problem with my old car - head gasket with water and a leaky bitch sump

the man has a point - im thinking of a "off whitish white" colour like my old zuke gti did....drank oil like it was...erm...Crowne lager :P

Either way - get a professional to check all ur fluids, all major points for leaks etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Take it to an Ultra Tune

Quote Originally Posted by ah789454
    dont thinks its a sump leak cos that mean my driveway would be covered in oil. my mate said when i deck the car black smoke comes out when im changing gears.
    If your driveway is clean your head gasket (as suggested) is on the way out (already has a crack) or you are burning oil at a slow rate.

Is the smoke thick when you drive hard? Does it blow smoke when you drive normally? You sure it's black?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Nissan 200SX S15
    Wat kind of car is it?? my car does the same, only wen i push it hard n change gears! (only in vtec) Its because my car is running rich (I run the car rich for a reason)! i've had my mechanic look at the car and he said there is no oil leaks if there were oil leaks it would blow blue smoke! if u fine tune it, it shouldnt smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    Here is your problem - when you drive a car with the k's rolled back...you dont actually know that its becoz ur car has about 302,000km's . . . when it only reads 24,000.
    what this about ben. i didnt roll my clock back.

my car has done 100k

its just a puff of that blue smoke the other boys where toking bout.

i spoke to my mechanic he said you will lose oil if youre given it a hard time. but i'll ask him about the head gasket? thanks boys