Member Array
    Car:
    3RD Gen prelude

3rd gen prelude problems...

Hey i have a 3rd gen 1988 honda prelude. It has a few small problems that i want to know if any of you guys know whats going on. Firstly, the shifting into 5th gear, it makes a rubbing sound as it goes into 5th, even though i hzve my clutch pressed all the way in, it makes a sound and i can also feel it on the stick. Could it be the shifter or could it be my gear syncros.

Secondly, a problem has arisen off late and when i turn on the ignition sometimes the car starts, its revs goto about 1500rpm and then the car just dies, so to get it started i press the accelerator a little while starting, does anyone know what could be causing this, my gess would be the starter motor.

Does anyone know anything of these problems and how expensive they might be to fix, this is my 1st car, even so, i am trying to take good care of it.

Thanks guys

Hey mate.

With the starting problem, get your injectors cleaned or fuel pump replaced.
    Two very cheap and basic things.
    I think you'll find its either both or one of them.
    If it was your starter motor you'd be writing something abit different

Member Array
    Car:
    4th Gen Prelude VTiR
    Your starting problem is most likely related to the main relay. Its a common problem on the 3rd gens. Do search for "main relay" in preludeaustralia.com for the solution. Its quite an easy fix if you know how to use a screwdriver and a soldering iron.

Member Array
    Car:
    3RD Gen prelude
    oh ok thanks alot guys, to tell you the truth this problem only happened last week as soon as i put some optimax in the fuel tank, today i put bp ultimate and it seems to have helped with the car starting, im also going to check the main relay though. Thanks for that tip.

Does anyone know why my gears would make a rubbing sound going from 4th too 5th?

Thx

Member Array
    Car:
    Audi TT 2.0T
    main relay problem doesnt happen everytime u start it
    it happens when the car is hot usually... is that when u noticed the problem ??
    FFR33K - SOLD
    LSV73C - SOLD
    CW DC5R - SOLD

Member Array
    Car:
    3RD Gen prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by FR33K
    main relay problem doesnt happen everytime u start it
    it happens when the car is hot usually... is that when u noticed the problem ??
    cold start usually

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Prelude 1988 Si 4WS
    hey mate, have you tried removing the plastic around the bottom of the gear stick, you might find something isnt quite right underneath or you may need to lube up your shifter.

i am thinking if the dieing problem only happens when the car is cold, then i would think its a fuel problem either blocking or not getting through properly.

Member Array
    Car:
    3RD Gen prelude
    the dying problem was shell optimax fuel, the fuel was messed up, im now running bp ultimate and vortex and the problem has vanished

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Prelude 1988 Si 4WS

Talking

its pretty bad when you think about it, we are paying an arm and a leg for the stuff now and they cant even give us decent petrol.

*throws fist in the air*

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    could also be your main PGMFI relay,
    very tempremental