Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MY09 Euro/MY05 Jazz VTIS

Standard Unleaded in Euro

A friend of mine has a Euro a few months younger than mine has told me that she uses Standard Unleaded in her car & has done so since the first service. She was advised by her dealer on the Gold Coast that there will be no problems & they even confirmed it in writting.
    She travels from the Gold Coast to Brisbane daily & has an average fuel consumption of 7.95 litres per 100km.
    With the cost of PULP these days, is anyone else using standard ULP & what difference has you noticed in the cars performance.

Thanks
    Eurotony

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    I won't recommend that she do this as a long term solution to save petrol although I am pretty sure the Euro has a knock sensor...

Performance wise, there will definately be a drop in performance as the car was tuned to run on Premium....

I personally won't put Regular in and if I have to, I'll have a bottle of Octane booster handy ...
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

This has been covered a few times.

The engine has been tuned to run on 95 RON or higher.

I would strongly not recommend running it on normal ULP.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda CRV 2011
    Blasphemy! regular unleaded in the EURO!??!

unless your stranded in woop woop

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    No, I use PULP all the time. If you look at the fuel door, there is a label that says "95 unleaded only". So nothing below 95 for my car. Also, is the journey between Gold Coast and Brisbane a 100% highway at 110km/h? If so, that is poor fuel consumption. I get 7.0L/100km on the highway with 98 octane premium. That translates to a saving of 0.95 litres per 100km. which is a savings of about $7.60 per full tank.

If I were to use regular, I'd save $0.10 per litre, which is $6.50 a full tank. So in the long run, I will end up paying $1.10 per tank more as well as causing the engine to retard timing, thus reducing the power output.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    u sure your sticker says 95 RON, I thought they say 98.

EURO does have knock thats why its safe to run RON 95, but not wise

When I picked up my Euro, the dealer said the same thing. Apparently, premium is only recommended by Honda. He also said that putting in regular will not void the warranty.

Personally, I will use 98RON because it burns cleaner, there is more power and the better fuel efficiency will negate some of the additional cost.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN
    u sure your sticker says 95 RON, I thought they say 98.

EURO does have knock thats why its safe to run RON 95, but not wise
    It's 95. The knock sensor doesn't make it safe to run a lower octane fuel. It's meant to prevent engine damage in case someone does put in lower octane petrol. At 95 octane, the engine runs as normal. If the petrol quality dipped, the knock sensor would detect it and retard the ignition and cam timings. There is a limit as to how much it can retard the timing. Once you exceed that limit, it's ping ping city.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by FWCL
    When I picked up my Euro, the dealer said the same thing. Apparently, premium is only recommended by Honda. He also said that putting in regular will not void the warranty.

Personally, I will use 98RON because it burns cleaner, there is more power and the better fuel efficiency will negate some of the additional cost.
    I don't get it... The fuel flap states minimum 95 octane unleaded only. I think the dealers think Premium = 98 octane and 95 = regular. But to us consumers, regular = 91, premium = 95, Optimax/Ultimate/Vortex98 = 98. Also, it's cheaper to run 98 premium as the Euro's VTC can change the timing to improve fuel consumption with higher octane fuel (also up to a limit).

It makes no sense why people want to save $0.10 ($6.50 full tank, $5.50 by the time the light comes on) by using 91 octane when they can use 98 octane, get better fuel consumption and at the end of 1 tank, run the extra distance that it actually comes out slightly cheaper than 91 octane.

I'm hoping that the full tank of fuel that came with the car is PULP!! With such an attitude, the dealer may have filled up the tank with ULP. I just don't trust dealers ...

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by FWCL
    I'm hoping that the full tank of fuel that came with the car is PULP!! With such an attitude, the dealer may have filled up the tank with ULP. I just don't trust dealers ...
    My dealer filled with 95 octane for my first tank (they had a petrol pump near the car wash bay!). But if you really don't trust him, then fill up with some 98 octane as soon as you use up say 1/4 of the tank. At least the overall octane will be higher.

Good idea, thanks. I'll do that. Have not had much chance to drive it since delivery a few days ago so tank is still nearly full.