Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The dealer may have meant well but they are not that knowlegable about the cars. They only remember a few key features which are identified as the strongest selling points.

In future consult your owners bible.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro "CL9"
    My dealer also told me I can use regular with my Euro when I take delivery of my car and I did use it for two months. Change to Primium after that. I have also notice the fuel comsumption is better using premium ULP.
    Anyone tried the new Shell 95?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Beautiful Euro '05 Man
    why would you want ULP, premium is bad enough.

my style of driving

50% freeway, bit of rev to 40km/hr in 1st gear.
    euro manual does 550 km per 55 L

10L/100Km

not as good as my old accord vti 98, does 50L per 550Km and thats ULP

9L/100Km

considering ROn95 costs 7% more.

my new euro manual is costing me 18% more in fuel to run than previous accord auto

which is... ok u decide.

ok I love ranting about the new euro.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    With the Euro, you can reduce consumption by using less throttle. You save more fuel by using 1/2 throttle and revving up to 4000rpm than using FULL throttle and revving up to 2000rpm before shifting. Even better is to change your driving style for less throttle, and shifting at 3000rpm in 1st, 2500rpm in the other gears and then cruising in 5th at 2000rpm or below. If this is your regular driving style, then you can do a full throttle up to redline in 1st once a day and your fuel consumption will stay below 10L/100km.

I drive this way, do less than 30% highway and my average since I got my car last year is 9.5L/100km. Of course, those 2.2 Camrys will be outrunning you at the lights. But hey, it's saving fuel! LOL
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    No, I use PULP all the time. If you look at the fuel door, there is a label that says "95 unleaded only". So nothing below 95 for my car. Also, is the journey between Gold Coast and Brisbane a 100% highway at 110km/h? If so, that is poor fuel consumption. I get 7.0L/100km on the highway with 98 octane premium. That translates to a saving of 0.95 litres per 100km. which is a savings of about $7.60 per full tank.

If I were to use regular, I'd save $0.10 per litre, which is $6.50 a full tank. So in the long run, I will end up paying $1.10 per tank more as well as causing the engine to retard timing, thus reducing the power output.
    Just so you know, running a higher octane fuel will not give you greater fuel economy, nor will it give you more power, as has often been suggested (i know you didnt say it). Higher octane fuel burns differently and will actually give you less power.

as for the euro, most newish cars with a decent ecu are programmed to cope with different fuels eg most of the newer LS1 v8's will run fine on standard, but ecu will allow different settings if 98 is used, ie some more power.

the bottom line is - if your manual says use 91, use it, youll get nothing out of a higher octane fuel unless you used advanced timing, which is a whole different thing in itself

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    Our manual says use minimum 95RON fuel, as does the sticker inside the fuel flap.
    Higher octane fuel (98 RON) DOES give better economy on the Euro, every1 with a Euro will vouch for that. As for more power, debatable. I don't think it does on mine but others think it does.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    Quote Originally Posted by BiLL|z0r
    Our manual says use minimum 95RON fuel, as does the sticker inside the fuel flap.
    Higher octane fuel (98 RON) DOES give better economy on the Euro, every1 with a Euro will vouch for that. As for more power, debatable. I don't think it does on mine but others think it does.

You can vouch for it all you like, but it doesnt make you right.
    If it says use 95, then that is what the engine is optimised for.
    98 ron will NOT give better fuel economy, it will give you less power which will mean you have to work the engine harder for the same performance.
    Like i said, unless you are coupling an increase in fuel RON with advanced timing, it will just reduce the power.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_will
    If it says use 95, then that is what the engine is optimised for.98 ron will NOT give better fuel economy, it will give you less power which will mean you have to work the engine harder for the same performance. Like i said, unless you are coupling an increase in fuel RON with advanced timing, it will just reduce the power.
    Hi Mr_Will - don't take this the wrong way - but you are a newcomer so we don't know you from a bar of soap. Now I am not saying you are wrong but it would be great if you could back up your generalised statement - this one in particular "98 ron will NOT give better fuel economy, it will give you less power". Do you have a source for this?

The other thing I would like you to comment on is on what basis you assume the Euro ECU can not recognise 98 ron and advance the timing accordingly. You say the LS1 can do this from 91ron - so presumably some ECUs can do this. The Euro takes 95 ron minimum - not 95 ron.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    Hi Mr_Will - don't take this the wrong way - but you are a newcomer so we don't know you from a bar of soap. Now I am not saying you are wrong but it would be great if you could back up your generalised statement - this one in particular "98 ron will NOT give better fuel economy, it will give you less power". Do you have a source for this?

The other thing I would like you to comment on is on what basis you assume the Euro ECU can not recognise 98 ron and advance the timing accordingly. You say the LS1 can do this from 91ron - so presumably some ECUs can do this. The Euro takes 95 ron minimum - not 95 ron.
    i did not say that the euro ecu could, if youd read my post carefully you would realise that i said SOME ecu's can. that is a fact - some ecus can do it.

Its all pretty much to do with ignition timing as i have partially explained to you.

98 ron burns far more slowly than 95 ron, and so if you wanted to gain increased efficiency from this, you would need to advance your ignition timing.

SO if you increase the ron of the fuel - eg from 95 to 98, without advancing the timing, you are decreasing the efficiency of the engine. im sorry if this doesnt explain it to you then perhaps rather than asking me to explain it further, you might want to research the basics of engine operation - dont take that the wrong way, im just saying that really if you dont know what im talking about that its because you havent properly researched what youre saying

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_will
    i did not say that the euro ecu could, if youd read my post carefully you would realise that i said SOME ecu's can. that is a fact - some ecus can do it.

Its all pretty much to do with ignition timing as i have partially explained to you.

98 ron burns far more slowly than 95 ron, and so if you wanted to gain increased efficiency from this, you would need to advance your ignition timing.

SO if you increase the ron of the fuel - eg from 95 to 98, without advancing the timing, you are decreasing the efficiency of the engine. im sorry if this doesnt explain it to you then perhaps rather than asking me to explain it further, you might want to research the basics of engine operation - dont take that the wrong way, im just saying that really if you dont know what im talking about that its because you havent properly researched what youre saying
    Perhaps you shouldn't be so rude if you want to post in this forum. It is totally appropriate for me to ask you to justify the remark that using 98 ron will not increase power.

You seem to be awash in generalised comments. This thread is about the Euro. Unless you can say to us the Euro cannot adapt its timing to adjust to 98 ron - take your comments about "losing power" elsewhere as it is just misleading.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    well excuse me - i was offering technically sound advice but all you can seem to do is repeat yourself in stataing that i am awash in generalised comments - that just doesnt make any sense. youre right it is reasonable for you to ask for justification, but for a start there are nicer ways to do it, and secondly when i did justify it you either ignored it, or you didnt understand - its pretty obvious that this issue is beyond your understanding of engine operation.

as a matter of fact, the euro's ecu cannot adapt to 98, so everything I have said remains correct. this means that the timing cannot be advanced, and thus power will be lost. seriously, google efi or something, ********YFIN EDIT *** TAKE YOUR PERSONAL ATTACKS ELSEWHERE - PM SENT - FIRST WARNING***
    Last edited by yfin; 14-11-2005 at 07:46 PM.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Guys lets calm down and be constuctive with something to backup our facts........thats all that yfin is trying to say.

Now from what I have read (on this forum and off), engines with knock sensors can only retards timing to avoid detonation (by running ULP <95 RON). However they cannot 'detect' better fuel and increase performance without 3rd party intervention (ie ecu remap or ignition timing advance).
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq