Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    honda vfr800 98

exhaust - local vs jap

I have an oz custom exhaust on my dc2r. It was installed by the previous owner and it appears to be made out of mild steel from the header back. The muffler is one of the smallest cannon mufflers i have ever seen. Not much bigger then 2.75inches? The tip is about 2.25 inches?

Anyways im tossing up between replacing the whole system with a vision exhaust or just taking it to a decent exhaust shop and maybe having it done there. Right now its hell loud and even louder on WOT. I know im being soft but something about having a loud exhaust ringing in your ears when your not even past the speed limit seems very wanky, it does have a nice bark to it though. I know you cant compare but ive noticed that lancers with aftermarket exhaust systems always sound very deep and smooth. Thats what i want to achieve with the type R.

Should i just have the rear muffler replaced for something thats larger, maybe even a twin tipped oval muffler from one of the local brands? Maybe one of those titainium mufflers from xforce.

I want to keep the weight to as low as possible......Stainless is pretty much the same weight as mild steel...just better to look at? Is it the flanges and wall thickness that makes up the weight between systems?

whoops just noticed that this is in the wrong section....damn 33.6k notebook dial up.... Can the mods please move this to the relevent section?
    Last edited by 10KRPM; 27-08-2005 at 09:15 AM.

put your most money + research into the header itself - where most HP + flow is found.
    The actual cat-back piping will make no difference if its locally made or JDM sourced - JUST make sure its mandrel bent !

disagree... header yes money well spent on a jap researched and bench tested.

B pipe also good but not as good (but definitely not a waste IMO) - gains are experienced in proportion to the MAX gain you could achieve form an exhaust and for an NA car that is pitiful... if getting a mandrel bent option for you is cheaper then by all means just spend the money on the header. Plus jap is prolly lighter LOL!!! and looks shinier hehehe... KIDDING

Member Array
    Car:
    honda vfr800 98
    The header is an RSR manifold. Its ok, Adrian from Toda says it will do the job. Toda headers would be better but for a few more kw's and 1500 dollars poorer, no i cant justify it.

I think i'll just go to a well known exhaust shop and see what my options are from there. Right now i think i'll just change the muffler for something else.

Moderator - here to help Array
    the catback exhaust should be flee flowing, try to keep the exhaust as straight as possible (under axle and no 90 degree turns). thats what i would want.

if jap brands have put so much money into research etc, get your local exhaust chop to make a replica of the one you want. simple. IMO jap exhausts = waste of money.
    Last edited by joyride; 29-08-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Off the shelf systems are pretty good. But a custom one will can be made to suit the mods done to your car.
    TVIS - Toyota VTEC imitation system

Member Array
    Car:
    Twisted
    The japanese exhaust systems are nice but a majority of them are jasma approved, thus having excessive baffling to meet the jasma noise approval.

I myself would have a custom one made by Liverpool Exhaust that is made of 2.5" mild steel that is mandrel bent in one peice with a long resonator in the B-pipe with a straight through N1 style muffler. Not much restriction there but will most likely drone the cabin in a N/A car when the motor is under load.

A majority of other exhaust shops that make custom mandrel bent exhausts use sections of mandrel bends welded together. This practise is acceptable IF the bloke who is doing this is very skilled at welding and working out angles. If not the weld will seep into the pipe work and cause turbulance/restriction or, the joint is missaligned and cause restiction once again.

Moderator - here to help Array
    Quote Originally Posted by STOCK
    The japanese exhaust systems are nice but a majority of them are jasma approved, thus having excessive baffling to meet the jasma noise approval.
    whats that got to do with australian laws?

Quote Originally Posted by joyride
    jasma has nothing to do with australian laws at all , only relevant to the japanese market. So please ignore any hint of "jasma approved" as a purchase point

Spend your money on the header + everything else after !

Member Array
    Car:
    honda vfr800 98
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll let you know how i go in the coming week or 2.

Member Array
    Car:
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by joyride
    Im just stating that the jasma approved exhausts are generally more restrictive than non jasma approved. I didnt make a comparison with Australian laws.

just go to hitech mufflers