Banned Array
    Car:
    Civic Turbo

New Aluminium Radiator !!! - Still running alittle hot

Hey guys
    Basically got an aftermarket aluminium radiatorr for my honda and after installion and several flushes it still seems to be running a little warm then usuall.

I have herd your radiator cap can have an effect on your engine temp? is this tru? if so what do i have to get to get one ? can u buy them or do you have to get one fabbed?

if anyone could give us some info that would be great!
    cheers

Lyle

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    maybe ur head gaskets on its way out?

the radiator cap affect boiling temp of water.... basicly, coz of it, even it temp goes past 100C the water strill wont boil (but it will still be hot)

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    how hot is hot ?

I run a half size aluminum radiator triple core and its perfect all day every day.

Have you done a compression test ? leak down test ?

Regards James

a radiator is only as good as the thermostat + other factors pushing fluid thru it

Thermostat OK ? airbubbles in the mix ?(properly bled etc) ?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000, Jazz, Civic
    If you wanted to keep your car running cooler
    should of got a low temp themostat and a themo switch.
    This will make your running temperature lower.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Civic Turbo
    ok isnt head gasket, car was running normal b4 radiator change.. no air bubbles in system. i do not have a water temp gauges at the moment i am still reading off the stocko heat in the cluster and it is just a little above where it use to sit, nothing too bad but it just gets me thinking. have not done a leak down or compression test yet as it is at the shop atm...

But basically i am just wondering if the radiator cap can effect the temperature of your car.

also where can i find these low temp thermostats? anywhere on the net and how much do you usually have to spend to get one in and working etc etc...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    the radiator cap affect boiling temp of water.... basicly, coz of it, even it temp goes past 100C the water strill wont boil (but it will still be hot)

Banned Array
    Car:
    Civic Turbo
    is that a 'yes it can' or 'no it cant'

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000, Jazz, Civic
    Yes the pressure cap will increase your water temp

do a search on Trader section for low temp themostat and switch
    or ask z10

Quote Originally Posted by aimre
    maybe ur head gaskets on its way out?

Isnt more so the actual coolant ( which is known as anti-freeze/anti-boil) that will directly affect your temp. ?
    Try re-bleeding your coolant methinks - possily air bubbles or a inncorrect water:coolant ratio etc

Also , try the correct radiator rated cap for the correct application

Banned Array
    Car:
    Civic Turbo
    no worries guys ill do a flush when i get my car back and wack in a fresh batch of coolant
    cheers for your help!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    OK, ben PRESSURE directly effects the boiling point of water. Water boils at 100'C at 100kpa (sea level). Up on Mt Everest, water boils at alot less. Meaning that up on everest, when the water gets to like 50'C it boils (turns to gas) and thus looses much of its ability to gain heat. BUT it is only 50'C so u can still put ur hand in boiling water and not get hurt.

This also works in opposite. At the pressure goes up, Boiling temp goes up. i think our radiator caps let PLAIN WATER boild at 104 or 108'C (as the cap puts the system under pressure) This allows water to take in heat even beyond 100'C thus allowing it to take away heat from the engine and thus cool it.

So in summary:

High pressure = Higher boiling piont
    Low pressure = Lower Boiling point

Yes ben, the coolant does most of the work in raising the boiling point, but so does the actual radiator cap

NO lyle, changing the cap WILL NOT lower ur cars temp, it will just mean ur car will still be able to be cooled when the waters temp goes beyond 104'C BUT will not be cooler than normal.

I hope i made sense
    Ctrl + W