Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo EG Sedan

turbo honda - what oil is best?

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what oil people here reccomend to use with a turboed honda. ive been using genuine honda oil and the car has been eating it up abit.

Ive notice some white smoke under full boost, so ive got my engine compresson checked and all was fine. It could be my turbo seals but im not to sure yet and want to leave that last to be checked.

My question is, is Oem honda oil (10-30) to thin for honda engines runnign boost?

SHould i use thicker oil? is yes, which?

thanks guys!

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    i was told n e form of full synthetic oil will do the trick
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    you need to measure your oil temp, with a gauge and select an oil that operates from this temp onwards.
    Use Fully sick synthetic.

I use Shell 5w-40, perhaps a little too thin on the 5w side of things, especially in summer, so a 10w or 15w-50 might be ideal.

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo EG Sedan
    thanks for that
    time to go oil shopping =]

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS300
    Castrol R synthetic or Motul would be the choice for, off the shelf oil down at your local super cheap auto,/Autobarn

I would be using something around the 5W-40/5W-50, 10W-30/10W-40

or if you want to spend more $$$ on something try the Motul 0W-20 or Fuchs Titan GT1 0w-20 or Castrol R 0W-40.

The Motul 0W-20 is used by Mugen racing, Nismo.

The Fuchs Titan GT1 is used in factory delivered Porsche GT3's and porsche factory racing cars.

The Castrol is a little cheaper, but the Motul and Fuchs oils are far superior.
    Last edited by smoknhothonda; 06-09-2005 at 04:52 PM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    stay away from 0w-20, it wont do the job for a turbo application, and its no where near cold enough here in the mornings to warrant a 0w
    You need to remember the sub zero temperatures in Europe warrant a 0w

Dunno, just my opinion, but you seen to have mentioned every combination of oil available, and confused the situation a bit.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS300
    Quote Originally Posted by ProECU
    stay away from 0w-20, it wont do the job for a turbo application, and its no where near cold enough here in the mornings to warrant a 0w
    You need to remember the sub zero temperatures in Europe warrant a 0w

Dunno, just my opinion, but you seen to have mentioned every combination of oil available, and confused the situation a bit.
    Depending on what amount he wishes to spend.

If he wants to spend $40-60 the 5W-40/ 5W-50 will be in his price range(the 5W-40 is the Fuchs synthetic/the 5W-50 is the Mobil 1)

If he wishes to spend up to $120 the Motul Fuchs 0w-20 is within his price range...

What info do you have to prove that a 0W is warranted for use in Australia?

These oils are not just produced for extreme cold start temperatures, but to maximise power and fuel economy.

I have been using the Fuchs Titan GT1 for over 2 years and havent had any dramas, and I know for a fact it has been used in motorsport quite a bit (Porsche cup cars/ a Fuchs sponsored R33 GTR Targa Tasmania etc etc) those 2 cars are probably the most hardcore turbos on the roads today.

No offence mate but he is driving a Honda not a Holden Torana. Why would he need a 15W-50???
    Last edited by smoknhothonda; 06-09-2005 at 05:42 PM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    Paulo,

dont use a 0w-20. The 10w-40 or 15w-40 are PROBABLY your best choices.
    After all, you aren't RACING the ****in thing for 30+ laps are ya?
    Last edited by ProECU; 06-09-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo EG Sedan
    yes, definetly not!

i will be defintely getting something with 10-15w and 40-50 operating temp.

hopefully this solves my problem of car eating up oil

cheers

Use Motul engine oil, its the best!!

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by paulosportz
    yes, definetly not!

i will be defintely getting something with 10-15w and 40-50 operating temp.

hopefully this solves my problem of car eating up oil

cheers
    have you checked your charge pipes for a presence of oil in them? Do you have an oil pressure restrictor on the turbo? You could be blowing oil past the seals of the turbo at full throttle due to high oil pressure(garret turbos are only meant to have around 30-35 psi of oil pressure... hondas go much higher than that)

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo EG Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman
    have you checked your charge pipes for a presence of oil in them? Do you have an oil pressure restrictor on the turbo? You could be blowing oil past the seals of the turbo at full throttle due to high oil pressure(garret turbos are only meant to have around 30-35 psi of oil pressure... hondas go much higher than that)
    charge pipe? you mean intercooler pipe? no real evidence of oil in them just only a thin layer which i think is fine. So it could be the seals on the exhaust housing side but ill try thicker oil first before i consider that as the fault.

could you please explain to be me what you a refering to regarding 'oil pressure restrictor on the turbo'? some restrictor on the oil lines going into the turbo? is that what you mean?

i have a td04L of a wrx btw.