Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Civic Hatch

Engine Swap Questions

Hello all,
    I am new here, I've just got a few questions to ask.

I am getting a 1996 Civic Hatchback from my dad in about 4 months. It's nothing special, a D16 under the hood, exhaust from the converter back, and some rims.

Im not gonna screw around with the interior/looks until I get something under the hood to back good looks up. I have about $5,000 to drop into it right away, and I will be pulling an additional $2,500 from the bank about a month after I get the car.

I have been looking around at engine swaps, mainly from a place "Osaka JDM Motors" http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/ . I have been looking at the B18CR engines, although I'm looking for a direct drop and I'm really not sure if either of the B18's on that site are cabable of a direct drop.

I am looking to get 200 HP out of the engine drop only. Then after that I am looking to add the following: turbo (not sure about specifics) and full exhaust.

Im wondering if the B18 is the right swap for what im looking for, or if there is a better swap for my car. It doesnt HAVE to be a direct drop, but I would prefer that I can at least swap it out over a weekend.

Thanks,
    Matt

Member Array
    Car:
    99 ek1 h/b
    what do you want out of the car? straight line? cornering? top end performance? low down torque? i think 200HP is alot to expect from the engine swap and if your only planning on spending 2500 on a turbo you gotta rethink your situation. I am in your position going to be putting a new engine in my ek hatch soon, how ever i cant decide between h22a or b18c2. Also are you after a integra type r engine, or a vti-r (b18c7 or b18c2) because for 5g you will be hard finding a itr half cut.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Civic Hatch
    Well heres my take, I am willing to wait on a turbo, and I will spend whatever it takes to get an engine that will put me over 200 HP. I see that some of the B18's are at 210. I want to at least get the swap done with the money I have available.

Thanks for the reply,
    Matt

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic 96 VTi
    Hey02zzi, where would you be getting your new engine from???

make sure u upgrade ur brakes too...EK1's are pretty small...

Member Array
    Car:
    prelude vti-r & s2k
    save you some time and just buy my car, lol

Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF
    OsakaJDM are in canada?
    Shipping must cost a grip.

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    have fun ITR half cuts are not easy to find
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Civic Hatch
    Yeah shipping is quite a bit.. but its the closest place to me besides seattle, they want an arm & a leg for their VTECs though

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3 VTIS
    ur obviosly in the US then...this is an australian forum....
    WTB: [SYD] Cheap Gen 2 CRX (or shell)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Civic Hatch
    Yea i noticed this was an Australian forum. I just had some questions about the engine you guys think would be the best fit for my car.. was nothing about nationality, pricing, or where im getting it from in the beginning..

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    B18cR will be a good engine for you..

but if u got the cash ...

go for the K20 DC5R engine
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy