Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

[Euro] Tein Suspension

I've been waiting a while for these to become officially available. Fulcrum suspensions is no distributing and fitting Tein suspension (coilovers), link:

http://www.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au...uspension.html

I'll probably be getting the Tein Basics for my euro - just thought i'd give everyone the heads up.

They also have the facilities to revalve/rebuild existing tein products. Oh and as an added bonus it's local for brisbane dwellers like myself

now the question is... how low should i go? I'm thinking of going 0 wheel gap can you say scrape?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_F
    now the question is... how low should i go? I'm thinking of going 0 wheel gap can you say scrape?
    For looks zero wheel gap looks best.

That said - I was at an advanced driving course yesterday - the instructor said to me don't drop the Euro too much as the handling will be worse. Interesting comment.
    Last edited by yfin; 12-09-2005 at 10:06 PM.

Hmm... really? I always thought a lower centre of gravity improved handling?

maybe he was assuming just lowering springs would be used? definitely an interesting comment though

Array
    Car:
    Disco Potato
    wats the diff between basic, super street and flex? besides the size of the dent it leaves on ur wallet
    Fast and furious? I drive slow and luxurious...

basically....

Basic = ride height adjustable, no damper adjustment
    SS = ride height adjustable, 16 way damper adjustment
    Tein flex = as above, but with EDFC compatability and few extra things that i can't remember atm.

The flex is a flagship basically, the SS is for ppl that need or want to adjust dampening to their personal taste.. basic is for ppl like me that just want to be able to choose their ride height and have an overall stiffer suspension...

Array
    Car:
    Disco Potato
    i read somewhere that EDFC is compatible with SS. if this is the case, then wats the diff between that an flex? flex built quality better or something?
    Fast and furious? I drive slow and luxurious...

Member Array
    Car:
    forester xt
    Chris_F: Not quite

http://www.tein.co.jp/productse.html

Tein Basics were made for the US for people who want a simple coilover to lower their car that isn't as dodgey as using lowered springs on standard shocks.They aren't really focussed on performance and they're not sold in Japan.

Tein Super Streets can use the EDFC for most vehicles, including the Euro. They use stronger rubber strut top mounts and are only height adjustable by raising/lowering the bottom spring perch. They have 16 stage adjustable dampers.

Tein Flex can also use the EDFC for most vehicles. They mainly use pillowball/rose-jointed/solid metal mounts for better steering feedback and less lateral suspension movement but with a slightly harsher ride as a result. They are height adjustable in two ways, by raising/lowering the bottom spring perch as well as raising/lowering the bottom shock mount. This will help to maintain better ride quality because you'll keep more shock travel.

Flex are DEFINITELY NOT the flagship!! Better to think of them as the best street oriented coilover from Tein, but there are many other models which are much more expensive and much better at their designated purpose than the Tein Flex. A good clue to look for when trying to work out if a coilover is top shelf or not are remote resorvoirs and separate adjustment for dampening and rebound like the Tein Type HG ... hmmmm ... sexy!!

I hope that helps.

best regards
    Rod

I have had teins in two cars before and even at their softest settings - it's a bone rattling ride.

Do not get these if you value ride quality AT ALL.

Member Array
    Car:
    forester xt
    Hahaha ... what model Tein's did you have?

The Super Streets are VERY comfortable and quite streetable even for a daily driver. Sure it's not like you're floating on air, but the upside is the awesome handling.

Then again, maybe you're just soft!! hahaha

Rod

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    the instructor said to me don't drop the Euro too much as the handling will be worse. Interesting comment.
    Too hard or low suspension can be detrimental -- it's going to other extreme of floaty: you need to have certain amount of flex otherwise you're just going to bounce around -- it seems to be one of the biggest criticisms of the 350Z: it might be great for track work, but on the road, the rear end is so stiff that it bounces around.

Think of it this way:

If you're going around a corner (fast), you want all of your wheels sitting firmly on the ground: that's going to give you the most grip and stop you sliding. If your suspension is really hard, if you hit a bump, instead of the suspension doing what it's meant to do, i.e. flex and absorb the shock, the whole car is going to bounce: the weight will shift, and in extreme cases, wheels might leave the ground -- resulting in less traction. You then also have to deal with trying to correct the car, instead of just tucking in, neatly and simply.

Road sttings and race-track settings are generally completely different -- because they have to deal with completely different sorts of surfaces, i.e. roads are a hell of a lot more bumpy.

While there's always a certain amount of leeway, I've always been led to believe is that Honda's have highly calibrated suspensions -- and if you're not careful, you can really disadavantage yourself.

If anyone's an Autospeed member, I'd recommend having a read of this article:

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1273/article.html

It's an interview with Jim Gurief from Whiteline about suspensions on front wheel drive cars.

I used to have a full copy of the text -- if I can find it, I'll post it...

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro
    I found a copy of the article (PDF) at:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/art...sp_01_0202.pdf

It's a 3-part series -- there are also ones for rear-drive and all-wheel-drive -- but they're worth reading:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/art...sp_02_0213.pdf

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/art...sp_03_0228.PDF
    Last edited by Tobster; 13-09-2005 at 11:19 AM.

o4 Euro... [EUROTIC] Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    That said - I was at an advanced driving course yesterday - the instructor said to me don't drop the Euro too much as the handling will be worse. Interesting comment.
    that is interesting, wonder if he was directly comparing to mine.
    Yorum thats why i hit him up about how our cars differ in drive and handling.
    As you said what a dif the driver makes thou (Euro vs DC5TR)
    [EUROTIC]
    04 Euro Luxury.... now retired