Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VT3C
    Personally am not a fan of the B18C (non type R) due to some characteristics.. some that u mentioned like the un-pronounced VTEC crossover etc are standard to the B18C.

IT was designed for low and mid-range torque with the added VTEC for some top end.. the intake manifold is totally different to all other B-series.. with the dual-tract intake runners operated by a butterfly valve.. is designed to optimise low-down power and mid range flexibility. the VTEC point is set lower with this tuning on the B18C usually about 4500 and is almost inaudible untill the secondary butterfly opens some 1000RPM later however there is less 'kick' in the change. this is actually GOOD because the ultimate tune would be a perfectly linear power curve.. the B18C through it's 2 stage intake manifold, increased displacement (over B16A) and use of Variable Valve timing (VTEC), is able to have a very linear power curve as a result.
    I agree but disagree at thesame time.

What I agree with is the linear curve when tuned, but i disagree with the generalisation you've made towards the B18C2 motor in particular having an un-noticable Vtec change over compared to the B18C5s.

It tends to happen on all B-series - having driven a stock B16A and a B18C both 2 and 5 series I can say that in stock (bone stock) scenarios they ALL have small changeover into Vtec. Once you put on an intake pod and an exhaust that changes the noticability of the Vtec change over - because its alot more noisy, it breathes a little better as well.

Also im pretty sure that the Vtec change on our B18C2 happens above 5000rpm not below as you stated - but that could be something that has been changed with the Microtech ECU and tune.

As for the linear curve - I can say that even with the tune its on atm having made 147hp@wheels on the last dyno run, it was very flat without a major spike when vtec kicks in yet it does pull hard when vtec changes. I think it may have something to do with the difference between the CAMS in a C2 and C5.
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    Quote Originally Posted by SINISTR
    I agree but disagree at thesame time.
    what's new

and we're talking about a swap not wild ECU tuning here.. I mean Isaac's Stock B18C with MOTEC and decent tune was awsome and had VTEC at 6200RPM (!!) and definately made more noise..but man you're talking about noise !?!?! I think your experience with B-series is more with modified setups, we're talking stock or I/H/E mods using stock ECU etc.

as for the power curve, personally I like crazy top end even if it sacrifices low down cause let's face it, with honda's and racing you're not below 4000RPM very often.. and with similarally modified B18C's my car might loose down low but top end more than makes up for it.

anyway back to the thread topic.....

if you want top-end power and arguably the best potential for tuning, interchangability, cost and ease, get a B16A.. if you want low-down torque and or intend to boost, the B18C is the way to go.. if you're on a tight budget, B18B then LS-VTEC/Boost.

In a perfect world with money not being an object, the answer is B18C(R) all the way.. for the B-series that is.. K20(R) would be nice... sigh..

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by VT3C
    and we're talking about a swap not wild ECU tuning here.. I mean Isaac's Stock B18C with MOTEC and decent tune was awsome and had VTEC at 6200RPM (!!) and definately made more noise..but man you're talking
    about noise !?!?! I think your experience with B-series is more with modified setups, we're talking stock or I/H/E mods using stock ECU etc.
    Well i did say I agree and disagree. READ before you comment.

It tends to happen on all B-series - having driven a stock B16A and a B18C both 2 and 5 series I can say that in stock (bone stock) scenarios they ALL have small changeover into Vtec. Once you put on an intake pod and an exhaust that changes the noticability of the Vtec change over - because its alot more noisy, it breathes a little better as well.
    I think thats pretty much self explanatory!?
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

I was equipped by Mugen Array
    Car:
    Lexus Soarer V8 GTLimited
    I paid about $1500 for my EK4 to have the full engine and running gear changed and replaced with JDM B18c Type R fruit.

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    wot fruit are we talking about?

cos 1500 is bloody cheap if thats cams/valvetrain/internals... price = u paid no labor

Car:
    Well for a start The VTiR has already a compatible engine bay - both being B series, and everything is almost identical to the DC2R. So it was just as easy as unbolting and rebolting it all back up again (but with Type R fruit)

I had to pay another $400 to have my fuel pump upgraded and tuned and extractors remade tho.

The fruit list is too long to type now

Honda resource for enthusiasts with all the latest news from Honda, downloads, media, photo albums, technical information and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Type R
    I paid about $1500 for my EK4 to have the full engine and running gear changed and replaced with JDM B18c Type R fruit.
    Very reasonably priced

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Type R
    Well for a start The VTiR has already a compatible engine bay - both being B series, and everything is almost identical to the DC2R. So it was just as easy as unbolting and rebolting it all back up again (but with Type R fruit)

I had to pay another $400 to have my fuel pump upgraded and tuned and extractors remade tho.

The fruit list is too long to type now
    O.T, Why did you have to upgrade the fuel pump?

Member Array
    Car:
    cos at the time his injectors wanted more juice than his fuel pump could supply - so a bigger fuel pump was the only way to go.

Ahh i forgot he upgraded alot of other fruits too, that explains it

Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by SINISTR
    cos at the time his injectors wanted more juice than his fuel pump could supply - so a bigger fuel pump was the only way to go.
    spot on