Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car

B16A or B16B???? bang for buck..

I own a 1988 Honda CRX which I use as a street car/ race car. I have been racing it at hill climbs and circuit events for the last year. The car handles pretty well with the weight of around 900kg in racing trim, however I only have an imported ZC 1600 engine which is great but I would love some more power as always. The problem is that I want the car to stay with a 1600 engine due to racing classes, if it stays a 1600 I stay in the 1300 to 1600 class which is much better than the 1600 to 2000 class. I have been pricing some b16a engines and some b16b engine and I have some very good prices for both engines. What I would love to know is how hard it is to get a b16a engine to the power of a type r engine. And what you guys think are the benefits of each engine??

if you have the good price for B16b as well, i would go for the B16b,CTR engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    Quote Originally Posted by sydteg21
    if you have the good price for B16b as well, i would go for the B16b,CTR engine.
    why not go for hat extra bit and get a b18c7 ?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000, Jazz, Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Da1nONLY
    why not go for hat extra bit and get a b18c7 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by intacivic16v
    The problem is that I want the car to stay with a 1600 engine due to racing classes
    Get the b16b as your get a close gear ratio gearbox with LSD, and a engine with good mods u can get 200hp+ out of it.

You doing the races for fun?

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    Yeah the b16b was my thought as well, i wasn't 100% sure if they came out standard with a LSD from japan. Yeah i have been quoted a really good price for the b16b but i am waiting for that to be confirmed. My thoughts are that a type r engine is a much better backage all round from scratch. How much modification do you guys thing will need to be made to get a b16b into a 1990 CRX???

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, R6
    It would be best to buy a front cut B16B, as it will have everything that you need for the conversion.

why is this in the teg section ? Moved to technical...

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    i mate...

I work for Adrian at toda racing and i'll tell u that from my experience its very hard to get a B16b.. if u can find one then ur laughing... expensive too.. i had a EG with a full EG6 SiR2 conversion from the dash forward and with that i had extractors, cat back exhaust and pod filter with piping ducted to the front bumper.. i got 99.7kilowatts at the front wheels.. was pretty fast and could keep up with DC2's but just never got them coz they had more torque off the start but never mor ethan 1 car length away.
    i mean the b16a and b arent like different engines.. cheaper option is probably B16A and get the head ported and worked.. they are pretty cheap now but gettin rare..

anywayz if u need any help or info just msg me.. im trying to help the boss out by aiding ppls in the forum..

holler if u need help from the frenly crew at Toda Racing..

Jason..

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    Yeah i am doing the races for fun, i would love to make something more of it but its very expensive. I have raced at one NSW state hill climb round and the car went really well considering its a road car and i was up against full race cars.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    How much money would you need to put into a b16a to get that much power though???? and then the diff??

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    I say get a B16A and with the money you save, do some cheap, sensible mods to it. More than likely you will end up with more power and it wont cost you as much. All depends on how much you can get the B16B for though.
    Check out my ED Civic progress here: http://edcivicracecar.blogspot.com.au/

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    yeh i agree ek slut as i said... at the Toda workshop Adrian has made huge power with the B16A... its not very necessary to get the B16B... its just got a different head and higher compression as the major changes..

the head is a head.. alloy... but u can get it flowed.. all the B-series heads are about the same except for the valve angles... whether its a B16a,b or B18b,c they are similar..

u just need to flow them and u will have a good head.. higher comp just deck the block a little and there u go... all the stuff original from honda is just bogusly expensive...as for the diff?? just get a quaife lsd or sumthin similar...

anymore questions?? if u are really interested i would go the B16A front cut which gives u gear box loom and dash and then bring it down to our workshop and get the mids done.. with the money u save from the B16B u will definately get more power..