Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Hey ppl,

i'm looking at buying a Spoon air filter for my Gsi... (its a yellow one, thats all i know... lol). Does it fit in my std air box, and more importantly, what sort of gains/improvement will i receive? Do i need a cai or an exhaust for it to be worth it? I'm getting a 2.25" exhaust in a few months time but i'm not sure about the CAI. have heard conflicting advice and Hanny's God of Honda has told me to leave it so i just might... lol.

I'm basically trying to choose between this spoon one which apparently just drops straight into my std airbox and a generic K&N one which alot of people have referred me to. Any suggestions/comments?

thanks,

jon.

Air filters will make more of a difference on non-VTEC engines than VTEC engines. The GSi engine will benefit from modifications to the factory box as it will breath better and therefore perform better. You will no doubt have an increase in HP, not a huge increase but enough. Once you do the headers/exhaust you will definitely feel the power difference as the whole engine will be breathing freely.

VTEC engines are already highly tuned so adding an air filter generally won't do much apart from add a blissful induction noise...

Hope that helps...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    thanks for that Vti.... so umm... which one u suggest? The Spoon or the K&N? both relatively similar in price. i think the spoon one is a straight drop in, the K&N have to fiddle abit to set it up?

Oh, and to keep things looking stock and legal i'd get an aftermarket panel filter in your factory box but make a custom pipe from behind your front bar directly into the box itself. Cheaper than aftermarket CAI systems and legal!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    huh? but the K&N is a pod filter and the Spoon is a podlike cylindrycal filter.... i thought Integras dont have flat panel filters? im confused

Go for the Spoon if it is the panel filter. You should be able to get K&N panel filters as well that should slot into the factory box. If it is the pod filter then forget it as you will need to remove the factory box.

How much is the Spoon one going to cost you?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    $120 delivered. but its not a PANEL? it's a cylinder type thing.. a bright yellow one... similar to this i think..its foam.. --> http://www.inlinefour.com/spooninaircl.html its the middle bottom pic i think, for the teg... its not a panel.

so wat does everyone think???

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Did you say Gsi Teggy?

I think it comes with a POD standard.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    Did you say Gsi Teggy?

I think it comes with a POD standard.
    yeah a podlike filter. so referring to my original post, can anyone help me? got any suggestions? i'd probably be leaning towards something i can throw into the standard airbox and not have to worry bout mounting or legalities. but also am concerned just how much improvements i'll see from merely placing this bright yellow foam thing into my airbox.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    joneblaze, as long as the new pod just screw in there you won't have any issues.

The new POD if it is better than your stock on should flow air better (hence the engine will breathe better). Just be carefull of which POD you get.....read a few reviews.

After that maybe consider removing your resonator and having some cold air come into the bottom of the box.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

opps, my bad... ops:

Yes, the Teg has a pod style filter. Most of what i said above applies to you anyway, replacing the factory pod with an aftermarket will benefit you. Also consider making a pipe to suck cold air from behind your front bar...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    joneblaze, as long as the new pod just screw in there you won't have any issues.

The new POD if it is better than your stock on should flow air better (hence the engine will breathe better). Just be carefull of which POD you get.....read a few reviews.

After that maybe consider removing your resonator and having some cold air come into the bottom of the box.
    what does the resonator do? ive been advised to do that by a few ppl now. but will removing the resonator be illegal under RTA standards? i'd really like to keep everything above board cos i cant be bothered with any hassles.