Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX

Can i INTERCOOL a supercharger?

Hi Guys...

thats pretty much my question - can I put an Intercooler into the intake side of a supercharger - will it make a difference?

on a turbo setup - air from the turbo goes through the intercooler and back into the intake under pressure, but on a supercharger - if it gets cooled before it goes into the supercharger - will it have thesame effect?

Anyway - you know what I mean :P

thanks
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Yes, you can put an intercooler on the intake side of the supercharger, but it is more efficient to put it between the supercharger and intake on the motor. This is because compressed air creates heat, so from the compressed air after the supercharger, you want to cool it as much as possible before the motor.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Hay, can you install an intercooler before you get your turbo or will you loss power?
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    As in intercool a stock motor?
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

You can install a intercooler before the supercharger, or turbo charger, but it is highly ineffective and a waste of time.

There is absolutly no reason to do this.

Any shop can fabricate a correct intercooler plumbing for a Turbo charger or a Vortech Supercharger.

Traditional roots style superchargers do make fabrication a bit more dificult, but there are a few OEM examples you can draw some inspiration from.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Just thinking about installing as I go instead of all at once
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by joonix
    You can install a intercooler before the supercharger, or turbo charger, but it is highly ineffective and a waste of time.

There is absolutly no reason to do this.

Any shop can fabricate a correct intercooler plumbing for a Turbo charger or a Vortech Supercharger.

Traditional roots style superchargers do make fabrication a bit more dificult, but there are a few OEM examples you can draw some inspiration from.

I have to have a look how the supercharger looks - I can't remember - I was thinking of a top mount intercooler if possible.

Im trying to think of the technical side of the intercooling a supercharger. The air gets heated up when it gets compressed right? thats when it goes through an intercooler on a turbo setup especially as it is HOT exhaust air anyway - and back into the throttle body.

But how much does the air heat up on a supercharger and would cooling it more than stock intake would - would it allow the temperature to be lower once in the supercharger = lower temperature of the air which comes out of the supercharger?

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukezen27
    Just thinking about installing as I go instead of all at once
    Putting an intercooler on a NA car is like getting a CAI but more expensive. I'd hold off on the intercooler until your turbo goes on.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    if u run a Jackson racing SC or any SC which replaces ur intake manifold, u cant. u have to get a custom water air aftercooler made to sit between it and the head.. expensive.. thats why JRSC sucks :P
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Weq
    if u run a Jackson racing SC or any SC which replaces ur intake manifold, u cant. u have to get a custom water air aftercooler made to sit between it and the head.. expensive.. thats why JRSC sucks :P