Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi

DIY: "Custom" CAI for EK

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To direct cool air to your pod filter or in this case your air box on your EK

Required:
    Materials:

- Ducting of some form or another

- Zip ties

- Gaffa tap

Tools:
    - Philips head screwdriver
    - Wrench and 10mm socket

- Stanley knife/cutter

Steps:
    Step 1: Remove front bumper (this has been covered in enough threads so I’m not going into detail).

Step 2: Remove intake resonator (refer to http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13836).

Step 3: Move air box or pod filter out of the way (optional, but it makes things so much easier)

Step 4: Feed ducting up into engine bay from the drivers side and secure with zip ties near pod filter or air box.

Step 5: Secure ducting along its path from engine bay to bumper with zip ties. Ensure any rough edges are covered in gaffa tape to prevent ducting from wear and tear.

Step 6: Secure the bumper end of the ducting with more zip ties.

Step 7: Replace bumper and adjust ducting as needed (you may also need to trim the plastic in the bumper for a better fit).

Step 8: Replace air box or pod filter if moved.

Step 9: Stand (or sit) back and admire your handy work.

Hope this helps.

This is my first DIY post btw.

Cheers
    CXi POWER

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    er i dont mean to be hard, but that looks a lil dodgy man, can u see that shiny stuff throught the air damn from outside the car?

why didnt you use the existing hole to run trhe ducting through? looks like its gettin a lil close the radiator that way?

got a pic of the filter fitted?
    oh wrd!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi
    using the other hole is a good idea if u have a pod filter
    as im using my stock airbox i needed the ducting to end up where it is
    as for being able to see it thru the air dam... it all depends on your positioning
    im not realli worried about that as im planning on meshing the dam up anyway

as for being dodgy it only cost me $25 and ive got enough material to do another car maybe 2

ill get a few more photos with the airbox back in if that wat ur looking for
    Last edited by Surrufus; 04-10-2005 at 01:14 PM.
    CXi POWER

was just wondering, where did you buy the ducting from?

interested making my own CAI

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi
    i bought the ducting from bunnings
    u should b able to get it or something similar from any hardware store
    CXi POWER

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    air is not getting force fed ?
    should u face it to the front instead? as for the ducting u can buy monza plastic piping for like 20 dollars .
    from autobarn , which i think looks better anyway.

get us some pics to airbox.

good work nonetheless

Banned Array
    Car:
    Mud Crow
    Maybe a tad inefficent. But props anyway for having a go, and doing some DIY.

Perhaps try putting back your stock airbox in. Then locating your pod within the sealed enviroment of the airbox. Then duct what you have onto the bottom of your current airbox. ATM your car will probably be a slower because of the extra weight.

The idea was there though. But you will never acieve a ramflow effect with that current design.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    you're on the right track. if you want to achieve a "ram flow effect" take a elbow join of pvc (the same diameter as your ducting) and put that at the entrance so as it actually faces the front of the car. you will have to cut one end of the elbow to fit it. then attach the ducting to the other end. this is very effective. ihad this as a previous setup and worked well. tested it with industrial air gun from in front of the car to simulate it moving and to test if any air made it to the filter. it was good.
    also, to stealthen it up a bit you can use black reinforced piping from a fitting supplies as well as painting the pvc black

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 B18c
    the motor is still using atmo pressure to fill the cylinders, so i dont think trying to force feed it through pipes in front your car will have a better effect than putting the pipes somewhere were it can draw cooler air same amount of air will still flow into the engine.
    if you wanna force feed it turbo it, supercharge it or N2O it
    Nissan S15: 12.6@113mph
    Integra GSi: 15.1@91mph
    Civic B18c N/A : 14.1@98mph
    CRX B18c N/A : 13.9@101mph

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    ideally it should have air flow that has ambient temp lower than the temp in the engine bay.
    if it was exposed in the engine bay as most of the pods are it should cool down the ambient engine temp as well as providing a colder air feed.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by kayot1k
    air is not getting force fed ?
    should u face it to the front instead? as for the ducting u can buy monza plastic piping for like 20 dollars .
    from autobarn , which i think looks better anyway.

get us some pics to airbox.

good work nonetheless
    nah, dun buy them cos they suck! i bought one of them monze pipes, not only they get extremely hot in the engine bay, it also goes outta shape, like itll be a thin oval shape due to deforming in the heat, i hated it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi
    ok... there r a few kinks to work out of it lol

yeh the mouth of the ducting should b facing forward but i was tired and couldnt b bothered
    ideally i needed to trim most of the air dam for a decent fit
    ill finish it properly wen i get to meshing the air dam

i do hav the stock air box installed... and pics will b taken
    next step in a hi flow k&n panel filter to make the most of the setup

keep up the comments

cheers
    CXi POWER