Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...

When Does Downforce start mattering?

Always been interested to know at what speeds does downforce generated by a car actually affect how much the tyres grip?

We all know that F1 cars generate enoguh downforce to have them drive on the roof etc etc... but they're going at 300KM+

Please note my question is not about "height" of a car...of course a car will handel better if it has a lower centre of gravity. I'm asking about downforce in particular

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    I beleive it starts making a difference at about 80km/h
    Check out my ED Civic progress here: http://edcivicracecar.blogspot.com.au/

I wouldnt think it would take effect until atleast 150kph+
    Its not as simple as sticking a twing on either which is what many people think hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    i heard it had more to do with the undercarriage than the wings and body kit...

i never expected 80kmph for downforce to become a significant factor... ne othe ropininos?

nah, it is well over 110km/h i have heard.....

my ITR body kit certainly feels good at high speed, but i am only comparing it to a DA9 previously...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

apparently, as quoted by commentators on F1, the little front spoiler on the front lip of ur car may do alot more than a big wing.

ditto from what ive heard - altho the type of downforce and location all come into play too i should think .

Member Array
    Car:
    Oldschool EF
    i think it comes down to the shape and weight of the car.
    Say in a formula 1 car, the downforce should affect the car at a lower speed than say an old volvo due to the lightweight and body of the f1 car contributing largely to the downforce.

Of course this is just my theory, which proves you all wrong hehe

on F1 cars each peice of the body has to be perfect or else the car will just fly... last time i was watching a tiny peice of the wing broke of and the car spun out...For normal cars wings are useless unless your gonna be going super duper speeds

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro
    Cars with extendable spoilers like those found on many Porches or on the Chrysler Crossfire don't extend until about 90-110 km/h -- but these are rear or all-wheel drive cars which will want more downforce at the back to keep the powered wheels on the ground.

I remember reading about the Alfa 156 GTA in (I think) Motor when it was released in Australia. They drove it through the NT so they could really get it up to speed and a lot was made of the fact that it was the lower body work (particularly the under car air flow) that helped keep it steady at high speeds -- and that's a front-wheel drive car that didn't have a rear wing.

Like everyone says, all depends on the shape of the car and what type of driving you do...

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    Quote Originally Posted by **Ghost**
    i heard it had more to do with the undercarriage than the wings and body kit...

i never expected 80kmph for downforce to become a significant factor... ne othe ropininos?
    I never said that it would become a significant factor at 80km/h. I said it would start to take effect about then.

For it to be a significant factor I think you would have to be in the mid 100's somewhere.

But I had a friend who ran a spoon rear wing on his EG. He took it off (had nothing) and said it felt a lot looser at the rear end, and he was oversteering more. And this is driving medium to hard on the streets.
    Check out my ED Civic progress here: http://edcivicracecar.blogspot.com.au/

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by ekslut
    I never said that it would become a significant factor at 80km/h. I said it would start to take effect about then.

For it to be a significant factor I think you would have to be in the mid 100's somewhere.

But I had a friend who ran a spoon rear wing on his EG. He took it off (had nothing) and said it felt a lot looser at the rear end, and he was oversteering more. And this is driving medium to hard on the streets.
    That must have been a heavy wing!
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2