Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: port and polish

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    ProECU is right, Honda actually put casting marks into the head to promote swirl upon cylinder entry. Better fuel/air mix = bigger bang.
    Honing a sprint car head may work, cause they rarely come of full throttle, normally with ITB's and camshafts optimised for the honing process.
    Inlet manifolds, turbo compressors etc are good for the 'honing process' but heads still need the human element to get them right.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1984 honda city t2
    hey mate, i am going to do P&P for my car. can you recommend me a good shop in melbourne area?

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    In Melbourne the only person I trust is Adrian from razz tech, you should see the h22 head he just finished, and the dc2r and dc5r he’s working on currently !! its amazing !

check out the link
    http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/sh...?p=429#post429

Regards James

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1984 honda city t2
    where is Razz tech? i want to go there and quote

Quote Originally Posted by ProECU
    ok think of it this way.....

when you're passing an abrasive paste through a conduit, how do you know...
    a) how much abrasive to pass
    b) when to stop
    c) how does the abrasive actually abrase the inside wall path
    d) how do you define a space that is "optimal" for the flow to travel
    e) how do you prevent the abrasive from contacting areas around the valve entries which do not require attention.

In otherwords, how do you control "where" material should be removed from ?
    All extrude honing is good for is hogging out volume.

I'm sure your friend has shit torque production out of the motor using that head.
    Extrude honing a head is ok but not the ideal way to do it and yes it does remove material from the wrong spots but it will improve flow and make the port bigger in those spots that make power.Porting a head is not just the answer to making power there are other ways to do it and unless you are going to do a complete combination to enhance the porting dont waste your money.And I know most on here will just talk about it and never do it they just ring people in the industry that are good at porting cylinder heads and waste there time.Then they go off to some dickhead that is good with words and gets them to do it and next thing its the tuners fault because he cant get it to make power when in fact its the shit porting job.And yes guys and girls I get these types of jobs everyweek so if you think I'm being blunt good because I am.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia
    Member of Master Of Vtec Group

Member Array
    so how can us 'commoners' differentiate between someone who can do a good porting job and a sh.it one.

Quote Originally Posted by krasyvy
    so how can us 'commoners' differentiate between someone who can do a good porting job and a sh.it one.
    Just look at who does cylinder heads for winning Honda racecars from both track and drags.Most guys that do heads for the V8 people do not understand how the hell a Honda cylinder head can flow as much as it does on a small engine.When this happens you know you are talking to the wrong person.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia

Member Array
    Car:
    EK VTi-R
    hey steve who did ur port n polish?

Isn't porting and polishing a gamble in a way?

I mean, I may be wrong, but with more air flowing through the cylinder head, you also want to keep the air speed high to create more torque.
    And if a head is ported, it may show good signs on the benchflow but due to larger ports etc the speed of the air wont be as fast making the engine lose torque?

Quote Originally Posted by spetz
    Isn't porting and polishing a gamble in a way?

I mean, I may be wrong, but with more air flowing through the cylinder head, you also want to keep the air speed high to create more torque.
    And if a head is ported, it may show good signs on the benchflow but due to larger ports etc the speed of the air wont be as fast making the engine lose torque?
    Yes this is true its all about building a GOOD COMBINATION of parts to make everything work together is not about 1 thing.Porting a head to big yes you will lose torque and lots of it.Most Honda heads for street use need very little porting there are just a few area's that you pay lots of attention to and cutting the valve seats the correct way will enhance flow at low valve lift which in turn will increase torque.So this is what I am saying about people that port heads you have to look around for someone that works with Hi RPM multi valve setups and they are the ones that know what I have just spoken about.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a 1990 ED Civic
    For an idea of what is involved in porting & polishing a SOHC VTEC head, properly check this link:

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/d16a%5Fhead/

Think about the labour cost here and realise what your getting for your hard earned cash and why you paying it... cause it is hard earned cash for the guy doing the work.

You get what you pay for.

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    dude if your still looking for somewhere in sydney try superflow heads in liverpool tell them your concerns an what you want an they will let you know if its worth while or not they are the best in oz in my oppinion they have been doin the top drag cars for over 20 years i once had a set of 5lt efi heads done by em they where good for 12sec passes in my old torana